Chapter 17

They both froze.

Serena turned her head to look at the man standing at the door, smiling at them.
She quickly moved out of Rick's hold, and this time he let her go.

'Dad! Good to see you!'
Rick moved towards the good looking man standing there, and hugged him.
'How have you been?'

'I'm good! I can say the same for you!'
Michael Malone moved his head back to look at his son.
'Welcome home, son!'

'It feels good to be here!'

Serena felt like a fifth wheel as she stood there watching. The rapport between father and son was heartwarming, and Serena felt a sudden twinge of regret at not having someone like that in her life.

'..this is Serena Taylor, owner of the cafè catering for Mom's party..'

Serena blinked, realising that Rick was introducing her to his father.

'Hello, Miss Taylor! Welcome to Malone Manor!'
Rick's father came forward to shake her hand, and to  Serena's surprise, the warmth in his handshake and voice, had her taking to him instantly.

'Serena, please..'
She smiled back at him, finding the twinkle in his eyes welcoming.

'Well, that's a greeting that I never got from Miss Taylor..'
Rick's tone was sarcastic, but his father didn't seem to notice.

'Mr. Malone..'
Serena began as a warning.

'I'd have thought that you were both past the last names..'
His referral to that near kiss that he had just witnessed, caused Serena to flush in embarrassment.
Rick's father chuckled, not missing the look that passed between his son and the cafè owner.
'Where are my manners? Please, come in!'
He gestured to Serena to enter, before turning to his son.
'Bring Miss Taylor's luggage in, won't you?'

Rick was surprised at his father's teasing, as he went behind Serena.
Thank God, it wasn't Mom who saw us! She'd be marrying us off before the week ended!
Rick shook his head at his own thoughts, before picking up Serena's trolley bag over the entrance and inside.

His father had already seated Serena in the living room, and they were both chatting away as if they had known each other for ages, instead of having just met.

'..actually my second visit to DC. The first was just a brief one, for a culinary event. Originally I hail from Manhattan..'

Rick paused in the act of putting her bag down. He hadn't known that. Serena had never told him much about herself.

'Really? From 'The Big Apple' itself! I've been there several times on business, but found it too crowded..'

'Yes! Those who are natives are just used to it, I guess..'
Serena trailed off as she saw Rick looking at her with an unreadable expression.

'I'm sure. But eventually you also moved to Miami, isn't that correct?'
Rick's father went on.

'Uhm..yes! I moved there for lo..work..'
Serena realised she had been too forthcoming, and so she decided to stop.

'Good! Everyone has a right to make a good living for themselves..'
Michael Malone did not seem to notice her mistake, but Rick's ears did.

'I think you are boring the young lady now, Michael..'

A woman's voice interrupted them, and they all turned to see a beautiful older woman descending the huge stairway in the centre of the living area.

'Mom!'
Rick headed towards the stairs, and the woman came hurrying to hug him.