January 24, 1999 Part 1: Arrival

Start from the beginning

The truth was, it was bone crushing mind numbing pain. It’s a pain she had never experienced before. It felt as if time wasn’t even moving the same anymore during her contractions. It felt as if her pelvis was being stretched apart.

 “To be born on a Sunday, I wonder what that says about a person,” she asked him with a single eye open.

 “Confidence and charisma,” her grandmother replied from behind Severus. A smile spread across Y/N’s face when she saw who it was, “I love you,” she said. “I love you too. It would be helpful if you could tell us what is going on with you,” Penny announced. 

“As if it could be helped or stopped. I’m just laying here trying not to lose my mind. Everyone has their serious face on this morning. I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it (Edgar Allen Poe),” she huffed. 

“Right, let us know when you want out of the tub or if the water needs to be refreshed,” Penny replied. “Can you put my other tape in, Daddy?” Y/N looked up to Severus. Y/N hadn’t even realized she was wearing a dog collar and called him Daddy in front of her grandmother. That realization would come later. 

“Of course, Princess,” he replied as he reached over to the stool. He put in a tape of classic hits from the 1980s, first song up, “Psycho Killer” by the Talking Heads. “Fantastic, I love this one,” she announced from the bathtub a moment later. 

“Princess, I need to time these. Just give me a thumbs up when it starts and stops,” he asked softly as he watched her from the side of the tub.

 The first one he timed was 5 minutes apart, as they got closer he helped get her out of the tub. He dried her off during one of the lulls and positioned her in his cross legged lap so she could lay back against him. 

“You smell good,” she whispered as she laid back on his chest. “Your grandmother is in the room, Princess,” he replied softly. “Everyone knows you smell good,” she chuckled. 

“Ok, love. The closer these get, you will feel a strong urge to push. I’m here to guide you, not to boss you around ok. I need you to trust yourself and push hard when you feel it,” Netty told her softly. She sat in front of Y/N wearing pale pink hospital scrubs with the tiniest white flowers on them. 

Y/N just replied with a thumbs up as she laid back against Severus’ chest with her eyes closed. After another one of her contractions, Netty needed to check Y/N’s cervix. 

Y/N had a strong physical reaction when she felt Nettys gloved hand start going up in vagina. “Nope nope nope,” she announced as she recoiled. 

Severus gave her a shhhhh and said, “Just breathe, Princess. It will just take a second,” he told her. His words gave her something to focus on rather than the searing pain in her already sensitive area. 

It was over a second later and Netty announced, “She’s at an 8. We are close,” she said. 

“Did you hear that? We’re almost there, Princess. You’re doing so good, ok?” he whispered to her. “I just remembered there’s two of them and I’m slightly scared now,” she replied with a nervous laugh. 

“It’s ok, Princess. Your body knows exactly what to do. You will probably have a little break between them,” he tried to reassure her. “Charlotte first. We can’t get them confused,” she replied, half delirious. 

“Yes, Charlotte first. Everyone knows that. We won’t get them confused. Each of them have their own blankets waiting on our bed after their measurements. Charlotte green, Stevie yellow,” he replied softly. 

A few minutes later and it was time for her to start pushing. Severus reminded her to breathe while she gave into the overwhelming urge to push. After two big contractions, Charlottes head and shoulders were starting to come out  of her swollen lower half. 

“Ok, hold on. Stop pushing. Give her a second to free her shoulder,” Netty said assertively. “Please pull her out,” Y/N begged. “I can’t, you will tear. I know it hurts, just give her a second,” Netty replied. 

What felt like an eternity later, being only 3 seconds, Charlotte's shoulder had come free and she was pulled out gently by Netty. She held her up in front of Severus and Y/N, saying, “Miss Charlotte is here,” with a giggle.

 “You did it, Princess. Just look at her. Isn’t she breathtaking?” he whispered to Y/N who wasn’t sure what she was seeing. “Is she real?” Y/N asked curiously over the sound of the crying baby. Netty looked at Y/N curiously before handing the baby to Y/N to hold, cord still attached. 

“Oh, she is real, huh,” Y/N smiled down at her as she took the baby in her arms. Severus leaned over cutting the cord while Y/N held her. “She’s real, Princess,” he reassured her. 

It was time for her next contraction so  Penny took the baby, wrapping her in a thin flannel blanket while the next one arrived. “Sister is coming, Princess. Just one more, then you can rest. I promise. I’m so proud of you, you’re doing so good,” he told her softly as he rocked her against his chest. 

“We’re not doing this again,” Y/N announced as the contraction started taking over. She got that overwhelming urge to push again. Again, Severus had to remind her to breathe while she bared down, slowly pushing the beautiful black haired baby out. 

Thankfully, Stevie came out much easier than her sister. “Stevie’s here, Princess. Perfect just like her sister,” he whispered to Y/N. 

Netty turned Stevie over on her arm, giving her a little pat on the back, forcing out a cry from the baby. “There we go. She didn’t want to breathe for us. She’s good though. Do you hear how strong that cry is?” Netty said as she laid the baby against Y/N.

“Bullheaded, like your father,” Y/N whispered to the baby as she studied her face carefully. “And mother,” the man behind her huffed.