19. All the cards on the table

Start from the beginning

Avyugh nodded slowly, crossing his legs below him. "Yes, I know what soulmates mean." He rolled his eyes.

Alarion knew what Avyugh was doing. The human was mentally blocking the fact that they were soulmates, and the vampire wanted to avoid any kind of miscommunication and he wanted his ate to acknowledge that they were mates.

"What did I say?" The vampire prodded.

"That we are soulmates." Avyugh's cheeks tinted red after he said it.

"What do you think that means?"

Avyugh shifted on his seat, biting his cheeks. "I don't know what that means."

Alarion sighed and filled another glass of blood and spoke while slowly sipping the blood and muttered to himself. "We're going to be staying here for a while."

"I want to know what exactly my job is, in all this." Avyugh began, twisting the sleeves of his full hand shirt. "I want to know why my family is caught in between all this."

"Because," Alarion closed his eyes. "They're out for me. Since you're my soulmate, they're harming me indirectly."

Avyugh remained quiet for a while and glanced at Maahi. "Is there a way to get out of this?"

Alarion frowned at that. "I can make you forget that you ever knew me, but that won't stop them from attacking you."

"That's pointless then." The human whispered, and sighed, leaning back In his chair. Alarion stood up making Avyugh look his way. "Where are you going?"

"To change. You're safe here, by the way." The vampire muttered and vanished from the spot within seconds.

He was standing in front of his mirror in the bathroom and hunched over the sink, breathing heavily and clutching the sink for support as he looked at himself in the mirror. His transmitter started buzzing and he pressed down on it.

"Rion?" His father Lyris' voice came through the other end. He sounded concerned. "Are you okay? Is he okay? The child?"

Alarion's came out in short puffs but he still replied: "I'm okay. We're all okay, I'll be back by tomorrow morning dad, don't worry."

"Okay Riot, we'll handle the crossfire here."

Alarion ripped himself out of his uniform as soon as the transmission was done and ran a hand through his hair, breathing through his mouth. He leaned on the chair inside his bathroom and tried to calm down his fast-beating heart.

He splashed cold water on his face and grumbled. "Pull yourself together."

He wanted to get it over with--the lesson on supernaturals, to his mate.

He threw on a black tee and grey sweatpants and hurried downstairs only to see his mate fast asleep. He sighed and shook his head, slowly walking towards Maahi and picked the sleeping boy up, and laid him down on the bed in his room. He then went downstairs again for his mate, and carefully picked up him, and in a jiffy the human was made to lie down beside his brother.

Alarion flopped down on the couch in the bedroom and sighed, looking up at the ceiling.

He glanced at Maahi and pressed a button on his transmitter. Kenji was on the line within seconds. "Are you okay, brother?" Kenji inquired.

"Yeah. Leave some lollipops on the front door."

Alarion ended the line without much explanation and thought about the ways he could put an end to this feud that has his mate and family on the crossfire.

And fell asleep with only one thing on his mind.

We can ask them.

We should ask them.