chapter twenty-eight

After staying two peaceful days in the hospital, you're finally on your way home. Home. You smile at the thought. 7 years later and you're finally going to be home.

Your head is resting on Satoru's shoulder and Toji is seated to your right while Hiromi drives.

"Choso called earlier, he's going to meet us at the house," Hiromi announces.

Satoru looks down at you carefully, seeing as you're about to fall asleep. "Okay." He answers Hiromi.

About 15 minutes have passed and your eyes land on the house ahead of you. "Home." You say softly.

The first one out of the car is Hiromi, who is opening the back door for Satoru to get out.

As Satoru begins to slide out of the car, Toji makes sure you're stable before helping you.

Your body is still sore, so it's a bit much to move around so much.

Satoru grabs onto you, helping you stand straight. "You okay to walk?"

You nod, taking a step toward the pathway. The front door is opening and a man is standing there with baggy clothes and his hair is tied in high pigtails.

"That's Choso," Satoru says, noticing the look on your face.

Smiling, you continue to walk up the pathway.

"Okay, I'll be back. I'm taking Toji wherever he needs." Hiromi says.

Your eyes widen and within seconds, your body turns, ignoring the pain that comes with it. "What? You're not coming inside?"

Toji is getting out of the car, approaching you.

Sending a look to Satoru, he almost frowns before nodding, his arms dropping to his sides. "Let's give them a minute."

Once they're all inside, Toji is cupping your face. "I'm not sure when I'll see you again. But hopefully, it's under good circumstances."

"Why are you not coming inside?" You ask quietly, already knowing the answer to your pathetic question.

He chuckles. "Gojou isn't necessarily happy I'm here. And both of the children I abandoned are in there, I can't leave them again. They have good parents right now. I don't want to ruin their lives by staying in it while I do what I do."

"You were supposed to tell me everything you knew." You sigh. "When were you going to tell me that you knew he was alive?"

Instantly his heart sinks, and he shakes his head. He doesn't even know what to say.

"I trusted you, Toji." You frown.

"I love you." He then says.

Your eyes widen and you take a step back. "No, no, no. Don't do that to me."

Toji shrugs, looking away. "Turns out I'm a selfish piece of shit. I was scared to tell you because I knew that you wouldn't want anything to do with me anymore. Kill me when you're ready, I'll see you when the time comes." And he's turning away from you.

You don't fight it, you let him get back into the car. And he leans forward, honking the horn.

The door opens and Hiromi steps out, walking toward the car. And Satoru follows after, his arm wrapping around your waist carefully. "Let's go."

As you're both walking to the door, you glance back at Toji inside the car. You care about him, but not enough.

Finally, you make it into the house. "Where are the kids?"

"I'll go get them. Choso...do you mind?" Satoru looks at the boy standing over there.

Choso takes over as Satoru leaves your side, and he helps you over to a chair. "It's nice to finally meet you."

You look up at him with a kind smile on your face. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Mom?" Hearing those words you turn slightly, seeing the two children stand there as they look at you, their eyes wide.

Tears begin flowing down your cheeks and Tsumiki is running toward you with her arms open. Disregarding the pain, you slip from the chair and hug her, both of you falling onto the floor. "My sweet girl...look how big you are." You kiss the top of her head.

As you sniffle and rest your chin on her head, you look up at Megumi as he looks at Satoru, who nods with tears in his eyes.

Within seconds, Megumi is on the floor with you both, squeezing you tightly.

"I love you guys. I never want to be away from you guys that long ever again." You cry as you hug them tightly. You never want to let go.

a shorter chapter, but this is also a double update...