chapter twelve

As you walk to the bed, you can't help but stop and look at yourself in the mirror. Your hand reaches up, touching the bandage wrapped around your head gently before letting out a sigh.

Then your hand travels down to your stomach, lifting your shirt slightly. There's not even a bump yet, you probably wouldn't be able to tell for a while yet anyway.

"Do you need anything?" Satoru enters the room with a glass of water.

You continue walking to the bed, removing the hand from your stomach and taking a seat on the bed. "No, thanks. I do have to talk to my mom later though."

"But you can't drive? Do you need me to drive you?" He lifts a brow, handing you the water.

"Yes." Is all you manage to say before leaning back. Your body is sore.

He's staring at you for a moment before speaking up. "You didn't tell me you were going to Naoya's. I was worried about you. Even your phone was off, I couldn't get a hold of you."

Your eyes shut. "I don't know what you want me to say, Satoru."

Satoru doesn't want to argue with you, he was just worried. When he got the phone call you were there, he got the kids ready in an instant and headed to the hospital.

"We can talk about it later." His voice is low.

"No, there's nothing to talk about. Can you take me to my mothers now, please?" You're getting anxious being around him right now.

As you get up, you nearly fall and he's quick to catch you. "Be careful. Maybe it's best to wait a bit for your moms?"

You shake your head and he rolls his eyes.

"Would you stop being so stubborn? Just lie down, let me take care of you." Satoru insists but you move away from him. He frowns.

"I'm sorry, I want to go." You say.

You glance back, seeing Satoru sitting in the car out front. He won't leave until he knows that you get inside safely.

The door finally opens and your mother's eyes shift to the bandage wrapped around your head. "Oh, honey. What happened?" She moves to the side, allowing you to walk in.

"Naoya threw me against the wall." You say bluntly, waiting for her to shut the door. "Like you'd believe me anyway."

She shakes her head. "I do believe you. Come have a seat, let's talk about something. I'm glad you've come by."

You make it to the couch and sit down, looking at her.

It takes her a moment to speak. "I'm sure this is rough for you. I know you don't want to marry Naoya...there's nothing I can do to help you with that, and it's my fault. My little girl isn't going to marry the one she really wants." You're confused.

It looks as if she is about to cry.

Suddenly, she's reaching for your hand and squeezing it. "I've been cold to you, I know I have. Many years ago after your father and I split...I had something set up with the Zenins. We talked about it, and they suggested that you two marry whenever you're older. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I had no idea what the Zenins were capable of back then, and now we're stuck."

Your eyes widen and quickly you shake your head, looking down to avoid eye contact. You can't stand to look at her right now. What the hell is she talking about?

"They'll kill me if they find out I've told you this. But I need you to know that I love you and I'm sorry for everything." She says and you finally look at her, your eyes bloodshot.

She smiles, her hand caressing your cheek, wiping your tears as they race down your cheeks.

"I don't understand...what? Why would they kill you?" You grab her hand, moving it down.

This is all too much, it's making your head throb.

Your mother takes a deep breath before she speaks again. "The Zenins have been involved in shady business dealings for a long time now. They're notorious for their violence and manipulation. I needed help with something and they want their payment."

You feel sick to your stomach. All this time, you had no idea what was going on behind the scenes. You had no idea that your life was in danger, or that your mother was involved in something so dangerous.

"Why didn't you tell me before? Why keep this a secret?" You ask, your voice trembling with anger and fear.

She frowns. "I wanted to, I really did. All this time I've been cold, I have really cared about you and everything you've done. And I know that you're in love with Satoru."

Your eyebrows knit together. She has always hated Satoru, or so it seemed at least.

"Honey, I'm your mother. I can see the way you look at him, the way you talk about him." A small smile appears on her face.

"What am I doing to do?" You ask, swallowing the lump in your throat.

She sighs. "I'm doing everything I can to help, I promise you."

You nod, believing her for the first time in so long. "Mom...I've realized something, I want you to be the first person I tell."

"What is it?" She feels warm, knowing you want to share something with her.

Neither of you has been able to talk like this in so long. It feels good.

"I'm pregnant." You say, smiling.

Her face lights up. That's something she has always wanted to hear you say. Her only child is growing up and becoming a strong woman. And for the first time in years, she feels happy.

But within the next few seconds, she would be falling to the floor, blood spilling from the wound in her head.

-

welp, that was all a setup.

so basically to sum it up, her mom needed help with something many years ago and as a form of payment, the arrangement was made. hope that makes sense.

i skipped christmas lol but not on purpose, just wasn't thinking since i never do anything