Chapter 11: The 20th Annual American Music Awards

(January 16, 1993)

At the Shrine Auditorium, the same place where Michael and his brothers filmed their Pepsi commercial 9 years prior and thanks to Cameron, who was 3 at the time making a funny face, Michael moved an inch forward and the pyrotechnics narrowly avoided hitting him in the head. This time, an award show was happening and it was the American Music Awards, which is an an award show and in addition, five days prior, Michael and Cameron attended the inauguration of Bill Clinton as president and at the event, Michael sung Gone Too Soon and Heal The World. Before that, Michael had attended the NAACP Image Awards and Cameron was with him like usual and also with them was Katherine. At the award show, Michael won Outstanding Music Video for Black or White and was honored with the Entertainer of the Year and back in August while in the midst of his Dangerous Tour, the pop star released Monkey Business as a single, which became another one of Michael's number one hits and it even became another one of his biggest hits.

Michael and Cameron arrived with Elizabeth and Bill as Michael was decked out in a black jacket, slack and loafers as Cameron was wearing a short sleeve black linen short sleeve leisure suit and loafers. Michael was nominated for Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist, Favorite Pop/Rock Album, Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist, Favorite Soul/R&B Album and Favorite Soul/R&B Song and in addition, he was going to be honored with the International Artist Award and also, he was going to perform Dangerous. Also, the show would start with Michael performing Dangerous.

As soon as they entered, Michael walked to his dressing room and got prepared for his performance of Dangerous.

"I'll be in the wings watching." Cameron said.

"All right." Michael said as he started getting dressed into a black suit with the white armbar on the right sleeve of the jacket, he had headworn microphone and a fedora and headed to the stage and started the performance the second the show started and the crowd loved it.

After the performance, Michael and his backup dancers headed backstage and there, Cameron grinned.

"Dad, you were awesome like usual!" Cameron complimented his father.

"Thank you, Cam. I did see a glimpse of you dancing in the wings." Michael said.

"I was."

"Now let's head to the audience."

Cameron walked next to his father as they made their way to the audience, but as they walked, the 12 year old son of Michael inadvertently bumped into a man with neck length curly hair and glasses.

"Oh, i'm really sorry, sir!" Cameron apologized.

"You're good."

The man turned around to face the 12 year old, who recognized him.

It was none other than "Weird Al" Yankovic, he had parodied Michael's hit songs Beat It and Bad and turned them into Eat It and Fat, which was two of Cameron's many favorite songs

It was none other than "Weird Al" Yankovic, he had parodied Michael's hit songs Beat It and Bad and turned them into Eat It and Fat, which was two of Cameron's many favorite songs. Cameron was also an avid fan of the satirist singer.

"Hello, Mr. Yankovic." Cameron greeted.

"Hello, Al." Michael added.

"Hello, Michael. Hello, Cameron." Weird Al responded. "How are you guys?"

"Good." Cameron said. "Sorry about bumping into you."

"You're good, i wasn't looking where i was going." Weird Al admitted. "I got a question, do you guys still play Eat It and Fat?"

"Do we ever." Cameron responded with a laugh.

"Whenever we hear the line Who's Fat in your song, we point at Tito." Michael commented as Weird Al laughed.

"Have you ever pointed at Janet after the line Who's Fat?"

"No, Aunt Janet would have throttled us." Cameron commented. "But during Thanksgivings, we have eating contests and Eat It gets played."

"We sure do." Michael aded.

"That's cool. I'm gonna present an award with TLC later."

"It was nice talking to you, Mr. Yankovic." Cameorn stated.

"Cam, just call me Al or Weird Al." Weird Al insisted.

"All right."

Weird Al headed in another direction while Michael and Cameron headed to the audience.

Later for the show, Michael won the Favorite Pop/Rock Album and Favorite Soul/R&B Single and after Elizabeth Taylor presented him with the International Artist award, he, Cameron and Elizabeth headed backstage and as they got off the stage, a woman around 22 in a black dress with brown hair holding two awards was seen approaching Michael, Cameron and Elizabeth.

It was one of the best female singers, Mariah Carey and she had won Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist and Favorite Adult Contemporary Album. She had first burst on to the music scene in 1990 with her self-titled debut, then released Emotions in 1991 and the year prior, she released a live album of her MTV Unplugged album.

"Hi, Michael. Hi, Liz" Mariah greeted, giving him an Elizabeth a hug.

"Hello, Mariah." Michael and Elizabeth responded.

"Hi there, Cam." Mariah said to Cameron, giving him a hug and kissed him on the cheek.

"Hello, Miss Carey." Cameron replied, blushing.

"Just call me Mariah." Mariah insisted to him.

"All right, Mimi."

"Hey, i like that." Mariah complimented the nickname that Cameron gave her. "How's it going?"

"It's going good." Elizabeth said.

"Congrats on winning Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist and Favorite Adult Contemporary Album." Michael commented.

"Thanks, Michael and congrats on winning Favorite Pop/Rock Album and Favorite Soul/R&B Single." Mariah stated as Michael nodded.

"Mimi, i really enjoyed your self-titled debut that came out in 1990, Emotions in 1991 and this year, your MTV Unplugged albums." Cameron said as Mariah smiled.

"Thank you, Cam. I'm currently working on a new album that i'm planning to release later this year."

"Great, i can't wait to hear it."

"Maybe for the album, you can make it a little more Pop/R&B oriented" Michael suggested.

"That sounds like a good idea."

After talking to Mariah, they went to the press room and there, Michael posed with Elizabeth and Cameron as he held his awards and even let Cameron hold them in some photos before they left the auditorium and headed home for the night.