Chapter 40: Trial Of The Hunter

(I'm back from the hell that is handwritten homework! Thankfully, It didn't last for another day or else I had to resort to learning black magic to save my hand from the abuse it had been in. I should now have the time to continue writing for a while if the schedule matches up.)

(Man, I want to take a good nap one day.)

Screech!!!

The sound of a demon screaming can be heard from afar, along with many more that follow.

Running on all four of their limbs, the devouring demons run away with all their might, fear evident in their eyes as they look back to the source of their fear.

Crack! Crack! Crack!

There, 4 more demons are running after them, looking very similar to the rest in the group if not for their dull eyes and a red line of blood coming from the back of each of their neck to somewhere at one of the demons in the front.

If one can see behind it, then one would surely be surprised, as there is a palm-sized insect surrounded by a liquid barrier of blood. The barrier is also shaped to be more pointy and flat in the direction where the demon is going, reducing any resistance it might have to a minimal degree.

The lines of blood also seemed to be from this barrier. This and how the connected demons look like they are being manipulated around based on how unnaturally they are moving gives an impression that this small insect is somehow parasitizing the demons for its cause. And at the moment, it's seeking more to become a part of the group.

'Hey! Stop running already!'

That insect is naturally Crimson. Who, after Ichor starts using the beam attacks, got sent here to quickly deal with the demons here to 'cut off the loose end' and prevent any catch-22 from happening to her and Ichor.

This should practically be impossible to do so in a normal situation since Crimson is both countered and outnumbered by the demons, but this currently is not a normal situation.

Suddenly, the blood barrier starts to ripple oddly for some reason. This might be a sign of danger for others, it's even more so for Crimson who has <Danger Detection>.

'Down!'

Suppressing the demon using her <Blood Suppression> effect to make it crouch down, it manages to do so just in time for 'something' to fly past its head, around where its head was.

Woosh.

A beam of white light whizzed past them, giving off the sound of air boiling as it hit the invisible dome a moment later, causing the impact area to be visible for a moment and creating a barely discernable ripple on it.

'That's close, Blood is too focused on the fight right now.'

Making sure that her controlled demons are unaffected and seeing that the other side is sadly also unaffected by the beam, she looks at the fight in the distance.

'Blood is getting better at the fight now.'

At the clearing that is somehow clear of snow and any obstruction, Ichor and Marie are still fighting each other. But something is different about them.

Firstly, Marie is no longer recklessly charging at Ichor and instead tries to catch him off guard. Also, Ichor is now starting to personally give the gift of pain and punches to his opposition.

It still isn't a winning move flow-wise, as Ichir only gets a punch-in for every 10 that Marie sent, but it certainly is a major step up compared to how he was a dodging punching bag earlier.