Chapter 35: An Eye for Danger

Inside a massive closed dome that no one currently inside Sunset City knows of, a battle raged on.

Roar!

Hundreds of screams can be heard in unison, seemingly coming from the distance and encircling something. Their movement kicked clouds of dust from the ground, hiding the true number of the assaulting party.

Suddenly, a loud voice sounds out from the center of the encirclement.

"Let there be light, Holy Illumination!"

Boom!

A burst of light shines from the center of the area, exposing hundreds of humanoid beings with ashen skin and ferocious looks on their face.

AHH!!!

Those beings can only scream as the light shines on their body, seemingly unaffected by the clouds of dust covering them. Their body melts into black masses before they also fade away, leaving nothing behind but dust to join the clouds.

The light only lasts for a second before it disappears. By that point, shoutings start to come out from where it came from.

"Switch!"

"Team 3, returns! Team 1, get in position!"

"Got it!"

A group of people at the edge of the defense group moves to the backline to recuperate, while another group comes out and replaces them. Though, from the looks of it, this shouldn't be the first time nor did the replacing group recuperate completely.

At the very center of the defensive line, a discussion is going on between 3 people in particular.

"How's the status of Team 1?"

An old bearded man with white hair, a hide armor, and a great sword on his back asks the person in front of him, his 2-meter-tall body seems to dwarf them slightly.

"60% recovered, 2% less than last time. At this rate, we can only hold out for another day at most."

A man wearing a red-purple robe with charcoal-like colored hair and light red eyes answered,  the robe could barely hide the chiseled body of his fluttering slightly with purple embers coming out of it once in a while.

"This is bad, Sam. We can't keep going on like this."

"I know, old man. The demons are coming out in droves and we can't even run away because of the freaking dome above us."

Sam points at the dome's ceiling in frustration, to which the old man agrees.

"I didn't think that the demons would dare to scheme on us who are far from the border by sacrificing 120 Special rank monsters to lure us here."

"I think so, kid. It seemed that they were preparing for a war based on how many demons are being thrown at us right now."

The old man stops speaking for a moment before continuing,

"We need that array to be better at purifying corrupted mana, Lola. How's it going?"

The old man looks behind him, showing a young woman wearing a white witch robe and hat, crouching down at the center of an array that is lighting up with holy light. The array itself is etched into the ground, with another array above it being modified by her constantly.

"Tch! I'm not at Grandmaster Rank, old man! I'm doing my best here. This array is not something I can just change at will, you know!"

She shouts at the old man before looking back at the array around her, continuing to work on it.