Chapter 28: System's Backlash

"... Mom?"

Ichor spoke out subconsciously in response to the memory of the lullaby. He didn't remember that he had heard it in his mindscape and he didn't dwell on it for long though, as he quickly realizes that he's currently on a patient bed and being covered by a blanket.

"What's happening to me?"

While he's trying to make sense of the situation, Ichor lifts his body up before trying to get out of bed. Before he can do that though, something happens instead.

'Blood!'

"Crimson?"

Hearing a familiar voice in his head, Ichor starts looking around before he manages to find her lying on his lap.

Seemingly noticing that Ichor's now looking at her, Crimson quickly flies toward his face before stopping before him.

"Where am I?"

'Blood's in cli...nic? -Pic? Picnic?'

"... It's the clinic."

'Yeah, clinic! Blood's in clinic right now!'

"Make sense, the room also matches too."

Ichor nods slightly before feeling cold air around him, making him shiver all over.

"Damn, it's cold here..."

Seeing that his winter coat is near the bed, Ichor tries to reach it only for his arm to barely respond to his input. In fact, it's not only his arm that is not working, as the rest of his body is also very hard to control right now.

Luckily, most automatic organs like the heart, lungs, and brain are not affected by it, so he won't suddenly fall and die for no reason in the short future.

'My body feels like lead right now...'

Before he can think of doing anything about it, he suddenly feels something soft falling on him. Moving his head to look at it, he found out that it was his winter coat that fell on him...on the wrong side.

'Blood is cold, wear this.'

"... Thanks."

Ichor then proceeded to put it on with difficulty, especially since he felt like he had been mostly paralyzed in all of his limbs. But in time, he manages to put it on.

"Ha... I wonder what's going on right now."

Sighing to himself, Ichor gets ready to try and use <Healing Array> to deal with this problem. That's when he sees a blinking mail icon on the edge of his vision.

He didn't have to think about how it came from for long, since the way it was made is eerily similar to how the System looks.

"I wonder what it is..."

Ding!

Opening it with his thought, Ichor can see that it is about the special notifications that need a panel for its appearance instead of the usual pop-up look. There is a lot to go over inside, but there are three that catch his eye.

===

Due to the System using your Vitality, your <Recovery> will significantly weaken until you fully recover from the backlash.

Your vitality is currently in an exhausted and unstable state, it's not recommended for you to use your vitality for any reason or risk premature death due to it.

...

Detecting a large amount of unrefined vitality entering the body. Due to your inability to react to the situation, <Growth Cycle> will be activated and controlled personally by the System.