Damon's hand relaxed under my hold. He turned his hand over and interlocked his fingers with mine in a hesitant manner. I tried to ignore the feeling that rose in my chest. I'm starting to think I can't ignore how I feel anymore.

"She doesn't deserve you." I said gently as I squeezed his hand the best I could without hurting myself.

Damon scoffed. "I don't deserve any less."

"That's not true." I replied.

"It is. I've killed people. A lot of people. I'm not a good person and everyone knows it. Even you know it." Damon said bitterly

"You're a person who has had bad things happen to them for over 160 years. I wouldn't say that you're a bad person." I replied

"You have too much faith in me, you're only setting yourself up to get hurt. Again." Damon said as he glanced down at our intertwined hands, his eyes lingering over my bandaged wrist.

"Maybe. Probably. But, I'm pretty sure I'm your only friend, so." I said with a shrug and a smile, trying to lighten the situation.

"I still don't get how that happened." Damon said, sounding baffled by the fact that I didn't hate him anymore.

"Neither do I." I said with a smile.

Damon was silent for a moment before he spoke up again. "I broke my promise. I told you I'd keep you safe if you helped me, and I didn't."

"I know." I nodded. I don't know how to feel about it. I was upset, and scared, when it first happened, and I still am. But at the same time, the anger is dissipating fast.

"Can you forgive me?" Damon asked

I thought about it for a moment before replying to him. "Yes. As long as you don't do it again."

"I won't. I- I promise." Damon said. He hesitated before saying that, knowing that I might not be very likely to trust him when he says that anymore. I turned slightly to face him and held out my other hand, raising my pinkie towards him.

"Pinkie promise." I said, laughing slightly at how childish it was.

Damon smiled and looked down, shaking his head softly in amusement. He then raised his own hand and interlinked his pinkie with mine. "Pinkie promise."

I smiled in satisfaction and put my hand back down again. "That means if you break it again, I get to break your finger."

"You're making that up." Damon said with a laugh.

"I am not. It's true." I protested while smiling widely. The two of us sat in my room, laughing together and trying to forget about all of the trouble that waited for us outside my door.

And it turns out that trouble wasn't far away, as a knock sounded on my bedroom door before it opened. Stefan was standing on the other side.

Damon and I pulled away from each other like we were caught doing something we shouldn't. I flexed my hand slightly, finding myself missing the feeling of his hand in mine.

Stefan glanced between the two of us with an inquisitive look on his face. "Thought I heard your voice."

"What are you doing here?" Damon asked Stefan

"I'm visiting Elena, what are you doing here?" Stefan asked as he closed my door behind him

"Visiting my favorite witch." Damon said with a coy smile

Damon looked at Stefan for a moment taking in his expression. "You're worried about me. That's nice. Don't be. There's no need. I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" Damon asked him.