Broken promise

I sighed angrily and dropped the roll of bandages onto my bed. I never knew I would have to bandage my own arm after being bit by a vampire, and putting a bandage on by yourself is unbelievably difficult. I have been trying to get it at the right angle for about twenty minutes now.

It made me wince every time I caught sight of the puncture marks on my skin. It had bruised around the deep red wounds and it bled every now and then. This whole situation had turned into one big mess. And it had all been for nothing, because Katherine wasn't inside the tomb.

When Elena had come home in tears last night and told me that Sheila Bennett had passed, I had burst into tears. We had grown closer as she helped me with my powers, she was like a non blood related grandmother. I couldn't even imagine how Bonnie was feeling, but I know that she will be heartbroken.

I picked up the white bandages again and laid it out across my bed, trying to angle it in the right place so I could try and wrap it around my wrist.

"Need a hand?" Damon Salvatore asked. I jumped and looked up to see him standing at my door.

"You have to stop doing that." I sighed as I placed my hand over my chest. "But yes."

Damon walked over, muttering a small apology as he walked over to my bed. He stumbled over his feet before he sat down on my bed.

"Are you drunk?" I asked him as he picked up the bandaging.

"A little. I've only had one bottle of whisky." He defended, I could see the effects in his eyes.

"Only?" I asked rhetorically

"I'm not a lightweight." Damon shrugged. He then gently held my hand and raised it up towards him. He gently started to wrap the white fabric securely around my wrist, pulling it gently to make sure it was tight enough.

"You know, I was about to go to college." Damon mused as he continued to wrap my arm

"Why? You looking for a degree?" I asked him

"No." He smiled at the thought. "I was going to pick up some college girls, have a party, drink some blood. But somehow, I found myself here."

I hummed in response. I'm glad he did find his way here, instead of taking some innocent girls from the college campus.

"Why?" I asked him

"I don't know." He stated as he finished wrapping my wrist. He fastened it off and secured it with some medical tape. "It's not too tight, is it?" He asked

"No. It's fine. Thank you." I said as I flexed my hand slightly

"No problem." He said. We fell into silence for a moment. I sighed quietly and shuffled closer to sit beside him.

"So, how are you?" I asked. He opened up his mouth to reply, but I briefly interrupted him. "And don't say you're fine. Because if you were fine you wouldn't be drunk in my bedroom right now."

Damon sighed, knowing that I had seen right through him. "You're right. I'm not great. I talked to Anna's mother, Pearl. Turns out Katherine never was in the tomb. She's been out this whole time. She knew where I was and she just didn't care." Damon shrugged.

I could see behind the mask he put up. He was really hurt by this. I couldn't blame him. He was In love with her for 145 years, trying to break her out. And she was never there and she never cared. I couldn't lie when I said that I hate her, she may look like Elena, but I would kill her given the chance.

"I'm sorry, Damon." I said gently. Damon nodded and glanced down at the floor, trying to hide how much this was really affecting him. I hesitantly lifted my bandaged hand up and placed it over his own, that was clenched tightly in a fist on his thigh.