Chapter 5

I stare at my phone endlessly, looking at Catherine's contact. Contemplating whether or not I should send her a text.

My hand shake of the thought of typing "hi". Before sending the message my mind forces me to live through all the scenarios that may occur.

I then put my phone on my night stand before suffocating myself with my pillow.

"You ok?"

Right, my roommate's here. Forgot.

"Urr, yeah. Doing perfectly well." I keep my uncomfortable feelings to myself.

My voice is muffled by the pillow covering my face, it also covers my anxiety painted onto my face.

"It kinda seems like you're freaking out." He says while chewing some potato chips.

"It's nothing, I'm fine." I turn, leaving my back faced towards him. He must not see the distress in my eyes.

"If you say so but just know if you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you bro."

"Thank you." It is nice to here comforting words in a school filled with devils

I've never been called "bro" before. I thought words like that were only reserved for guys with an actual social life.

Today's the Freak festival. An excuse to celebrate the union between all the races. It's held every year in Haven town.

The best thing about big events is the fact that I know I'll be alone if I don't go. No eyes watching me, no disturbances and best of all, no people.

I can finally be free.

Or so I thought.

Knocking at the door signals that I am not alone. Someone else has also decided to skip the Freak Festival and is in front of my door.

As I slowly open it I see Catherine.

"Catherine?"

She was the last person I expected.

"You didn't send me a message so I thought I might as well come get you."

"Why?" I ask.

"For the Freak Festival silly." She makes it seem as though everyone should attend events like these.

As we head out Catherine shields herself from the sun's ray with specially made sun block, sun glasses and an umbrella.

"Why're you doing this?" With built up courage I confront her about taking me with her.

" Doing what?" She plays dumb, avoiding my question.
" Spending time with me."

"Well everyone thinks you're a freak, I try not to base my views on what other people think, and I think you're a sweet person who deserves more what's life handing to you."

As we get closer to the festivals the more we get noticed by nearby students.

"Aren't you afraid about what people'll think of you?" I ask.

"I did but after that day of the party you made me think. Instead of doing things to impress people I should do it to impress myself. So who cares what they think."

She has more bravery than I'll ever gain.

"C'mon let's have some fun." Arriving at the festival she grabs my hand and runs charges straight in.

After hours of games and rides she sees her ex up ahead.

"C'mon let's go there. She changes our direction and she takes me to the Farris wheel for the climax of the night. It is clear she wants to avoid her ex boyfriend.

"I don't think this is a good idea." Fear slithers through the cracks in my voice.

"Relax why don't you."

As we ascend I feel my breaths increasing as I look down. My chest tightens, hands slip off the railing with sweat and my heart feels like it's lodged in my throat making me unable to speak.

Her voice, blocked like I'm deep underwater. My mind racing, thinking of everything that could go wrong.

I then look up to see the full moon.

It's staring at me, taunting me.

Catherine softly grabs my hand, squeezing it. She then uses her other hand to turn my head towards her. "It's ok. Nothing's gonna happen."

Just like a rabbit in a magician's hat, all my anxiety vanishes.

We stare at each other for some time before she leans in.

A kiss.

She does this as her ex boyfriend watches her from afar.

My heart stops for a brief moment before beating again. My mind cannot fathom what has just occurred.

"You, you, um. You kissed me." My face is tainted pink.

"It couldn't have been that bad." She jokes.

"No it was...... It was great but it's just..........." Before finishing my sentence I feel an urge.

This could be it.

The Farris wheel ends and I race towards the woods where no one will find me.

Is it finally time.

My teeth slowly sharpen and my claws grow like the end of blades.

As my transformation would begin so would it quickly end.

I guess it was a false alarm.