Chapter 26

Unaware to me, after his show the two spent the rest of the night watching the follow up performances.

"We should probably get back, we're already pass curfew." Willow says, placing all her things on the table.

"Who cares, the night's still young. Besides, there's something I wanted ask."

"Well what is it."

"I............" As Lucas opens his mouth to speak Willow's phone buzzes.

It's the message I sent.

As she grabs her phone Lucas stops her, switching it off.

"Willow. I like you."

"What?" She responds, shocked by the reveal.

"I've had a crush on you since we were little kids."

"So the songs, it was about..........." Willow stops with realisation.

"You. It's always been you Willow."

"I'm sorry, it's just........"

"Someone else?"

"Lycan."

"Of course it is."

"I'm sorry."

After his rejection Willow rushes out, leaving all her possessions behind.

One of her things she left was her phone. After switching it on Lucas would see the notification of my message.

He'd scramble digits for her password, trying to unlock her phone.

Bingo.

The date of her parents death. Of course he'd know that.

After seeing the message spite would consume him and Lucas  deletes the message without remorse.

Then Lucas would run after her, handing her things before to campus.

When arriving the two would split, sneaking into their dorms.

Willow would caught red handed.

Her punishment.

Band from leaving campus for the rest of the month and confiscating her phone until the end of the final semester.

Days I wait for her reply.

There's none.

With her suspension from leaving school we cannot meet at the subway, but I do not know that.

I am convinced my message is the reason she's been keeping herself distant.

It hurts because I just finished The Lonely Soul. The book she lent me.

It made me realise how much I really cared about Willow.

In class I hand her the book. "Thanks for letting me read it."

"What'd you think of it?"

"It was great, your mother was a great writer."

"Thanks, about the night of the show.........."

I cut her off, killing the topic with rolling words. "It's ok, I know you're with Lucas. I can't blame you, he seems just like your type."

"No it not what you th........."

"Look, I thought we felt the same way about each other but it's clear we don't, and that's fine. You don't need to pretend that you care anymore, just leave me alone."

"Lycan......." Her face breaks to reveal the sorrow underneath. Tearing bubbling from under her eye sockets.

Before finishing her sentence Ms Holland shushes at Willow with intensity. Silencing her for the rest of the period.

Now we just walk past each like ghosts, unable to interact with each other.

With no subway to go to and no girlfriend I am left spending my most of my time with Duncan, if he's not on practice and with Samuel.

He's introduced me to Dungeons and Dragons, a board game we play from time to time.

"You think you're free next week." He asks.

"I'm always free these days."

Samuel: Well my parents are going to rent out a huge house for my birthday party."

"It's gonna be your birthday?"

"Yeah and I thought made you could come, bring some friends too."

"Sure but how many people are going to be at the party."

"So far just you. Maybe you could invite Catherine and her friends, I might get a shot with one of them."

"I highly doubt that, and me and Catherine don't exactly talk anymore."

"Right. What about Willow?"

"The same."

"Really? I thought you two would get together by now."

"Me too. I hoped at least."

"What happened?"

"Lucas happened. A childhood friend of hers came and swooped her off her feet. I'm pretty sure they're together now."

"You really think so?" Samuel questions, his face indicating something else, but I'm more focused on the board.

"I doubt I'm wrong."

"Well Willow always liked you."

I look up surprise.

"Urr, always seemed like she liked you."

"Yeah well looks can be deceiving." Washing away that spontaneous feeling away.

After leaving Samuel's room I head to back to my dorm before walking past Pearl.

She waves at me with a smile and I quickly stop her.

"Hey um, do you think you could come to my friend's party next week."

"Who?"

"Samuel Quinn, the sasquatch."

"Never seen him."

"Thought so. Nevermind." I say before turning to walk away.

"I'll still come though." I stop, turning back to her. "Mind if I bring some friends?"

"No not at all."

"Well here's my number, text me the details."

"Oh, ok."

Samuel is gonna freak out when I tell him I got Pearl to come to the party.