Chapter 24

The next morning I wake to the rising sun burning skin.

It's Duncan's game today.

Our school, the Brutal Beasts against our rivals, the Savage Warriors.

It's hardly a rivalry since we never win, but Duncan doesn't know that.

He's going in thinking they have a shot.

The only reason I'm going is because of Catherine.

Sports isn't really my forte.

As I get ready I notice Pearl once again.

This time she peeks through the window to see if I'm watching and starts undressing.

Unlike before she allows me to watch, exaggerating her movements like an animal in heat.

I do not mind watching.

It's not like I get to see this everyday.

At the game me and Catherine make our way to our seats.

The people move away from our seats, still scared of me.

"Don't worry, they'll get over it. Eventually." She say, trying to comfort me.

"Maybe." I'm slowly starting to get used to the position I'm in. How the school perceives me.

Surprisingly I see Willow.

She waves at me with a smile, I mirror her and Catherine sees our interaction.

Now the game has started.

I would've preferred spending my time alone with Catherine but no matter how much I dislike it, I need to support my friend.

I watch how he plays, how he tries he's best.

The first half has finished and the Brutal Beasts haven't made much progress.

I worry for Duncan.

Maybe I should've informed him before hand on the Savages capabilities.

Now I hope that he wins.

Do I actually want them to win?

I never liked sports but for Duncan I feel a burning passion to see him win.

The second half has begun.

I crack my fingers with anxiety.

Then as the game continues I watch how they get the upper hand.

They win, Duncan getting the last point.

I jump from my seat, cheering as loud as I can for him.

I do not cheer for the team, only Duncan.

After the game we run to each other like twin flamed lovers and wrapping our arms around each other.

The eyes around us are left disturbed as they distance themselves.

"Hey Duncan, the rest of the team are gonna go celebrate today's win back on campus, let's go." A teammate calls to Duncan from a distance. As the rest of the team celebrate in the background.

"Actually um, I think I'm gonna sit this one out." Duncan responds

"But you're the reason we won."

"Sorry man, maybe next time."

How odd.

He had the choice to celebrate his victory with his friends but instead we're playing Stay Alive in our room.

"Thanks for showing up at the game today, I know it's not really your thing." Duncan says casually.

"No problem. How come you didn't go with them?"

"The guys? They're not my real friends, more like close teammate. Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool and all but I'd rather spend my time with you dude."

"You think of me as a real friend?"

"Dude, you're my best friend."

"Really?" I'm shocked. I didn't think he considered me so close.

"Yeah man."

"I think you're my best friend too."

"That's good to know."

And like that the conversation ends nonchalantly. Holding our joy inwardly.

The next day I meet up with Catherine at the local diner.

The reason is she wants to talk about Willow, funny that she chose her place of work to meet.

But she's not here. I got a text that she's today off and she'll be at the subway.

"You wanted to talk about something?" I ask.

"Yeah um, it's about Willow."

"What about her?"

"Well you two seem pretty close."

"She's technical my first friend."

"Just a friend?" Catherine asks, insinuating something more.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you and her hooking up?" Her bottled worry overflowed from her mouth.

As I indulge in my freshly made coffee, the words coming from her mouth cause me to spew it all onto the table with shock. "There's no way she'd find me a suitable mate, she barely thinks of me as a friend as is."

"It doesn't look like it. I saw how she looked at you the last time we were here, and at the dance she was the one who calmed you down, she even went out to the woods looking for you."

"She did?" I didn't know that. Is there more I should've known?

"Look, the point I'm trying to make is..." Catherine hesitates, gagging the words to come up. "I don't think this is going to work."

"No. Please. I promise, nothing's going on."

"Are you sure? I see the way you look at her, like a mystery for you to solve."

Do I like Willow?

I remain quiet, wanting to say something but closing my mouth.

"I'm sorry Lycan, it's over."

The weather fits the mood.

Heavy rainfall and thunderstorms. Like the universe planned this to happen from the start and I am just a pon in it's game.

The rain hits me like punch from a professional boxer. Not as much as Catherine's words however.

The rain washes away my tears and blurs my vision as I head to the subway.

Hopefully watching Willow's art will bring light to this lingering feeling of darkness I feel inside.

My clothes soaked wet, weighing me down with every step.

When I finally arrive I find she's not alone.

A new student?

"Lucas, this is Lycan who I told you about." Willow says, introducing him with oddly broad smile from her.

Lucas?