Chapter 2

Willow Whitman. She's the first girl I've ever talked to. Well she talked to me and I just barely came up with words to reply.

My father always warned me to stay away from vampires, it was easy for the most part. Up until now.

I move to my next class with hest, I cannot be late for Ms Holland.

I hurry past a sharp corner to my right just to hit into another student.

Catherine Mindy, also known as "Candy". She might not look it by she's a vamp too. With her blonde hair, tips dyed pink like cotton candy, nails more colourful than a rainbow after a week of stormy weather, eyes green like plants growing in spring. The contacts covering her blood red eyes to make her look nothing like a vampire. The only thing that gives it away are her fangs.

I understand why she does these things, she is the best in her class and the class captain as well, very much a teacher's pet. She does this to break free from the vampire, goth girl stereotype.

She quickly starts picking up her things, she's in a rush too. Maybe I should help her?

As I crouch to help pick up her things I struggle get two words from my mouth. " Um...... I'm sorry. "

" It's ok, thanks for your help. " She shows her gratitude with a smile but I know she wouldn't care less.

Before I know it she's off. I should be too.

As I slowly enter the class I am greeted by countless eyes staring back at me.

I'm the centre of attention, this is bad.

"You're late!" Ms Holland shouts. Sitting at her paper stacked desk.

"Um......."

"Mind telling me where you were?"

I hear giggles bouncing from the classroom.

My entire face is red. I can tell because my temperature spiked dramatically and my hands are sweaty.

It's like my mind and heart are in a race, too much thoughts going through my head and too much anxiety pumping through my heart.

"Well?" She says.

"It was me." As I turn my head I see Catherine, she was sent to deliver a form from another teacher.

"I accidentally bumped into him while he was on his way to class. Even though he knew he would be late he still helped pick up my things."

"............ " She pauses, thinking of how to respond. "Well at least we know chivalry still lives. Barely."

And just like that I'm off the hook.

Lunch time, as I walk down the hallway, I see the gleaming fluorescent lights reflecting off the tiled floor. My feet feel heavy as I'm trudges along, each step echoing in the cavernous space. The only other sound I can hear is the distant chatter of students in the classrooms, muffled by the thick walls. I feel like I'm in a maze, every turn looking the same as the last. The only thing that breaks the monotony is the occasional glimpse of a classroom door, cracked open just enough to let a sliver of light escape.
Just as I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get to the restroom, I see a figure approaching in the distance. As it gets closer, I realize it's Catherine, the girl I've been trying to avoid since the first day of school. She's walking with purpose, like she knows exactly where she's going. She looks up at me and our eyes meet. A jolt of panic shoots through me, but I quickly turn away.

She's alone.

This is the perfect time for me to thank her.

I slowly walk towards her before quickly turning back.

I try again.

Walking towards her before turning back. My steps feeling heavier each time I try.

After a few attempts she would approach me instead.

" Hey." She says with her serene voice.

" Urr, hi." Shock leaves my face blank.

" You want to talk to me?" She leans in forward to hear my response.

" Yes, no, um I just, urrr........... Wanted to say thank you for earlier." My words wrap around each other like well fastened knot.

Her expression then changes slightly. "Is that all you wanted to say?"

"Um, I'm sorry. I'm wasting your time, I should go." The only thing I can think of doing is getting away before I embarrass myself even more.

Along with embarrassment I leave with the feelings of, stupidity and rage for myself.

"Stupid, stupid. What was I thinking?" I whisper to myself, bumping my hand on my forehead.

"Hopefully you'll have something to say at Rohan's party off campus."

Her voice echos through the hallway.

" Party?"

" Everyone's going. You should come."

I'm going to a party?