Chapter XXVIII

The sleek black car glided to a halt in front of the figure skating competition venue. As the door swung open, Bruce Wayne, dressed impeccably, stepped out with his 7-year-old daughter. The flashes of paparazzi cameras turned their quiet arrival into a spectacle, an unexpected intrusion into their private moment.

Bruce, a man who valued his privacy, instinctively tightened his grip on Kimmy's hand, attempting to navigate through the swarm of eager photographers. "Excuse us, please. Give us a little space," he requested, his voice carrying a hint of both politeness and authority.

However, the paparazzi, driven by the pursuit of a story, seemed reluctant to heed his request. They pressed in closer, the cacophony of shutters and voices intensifying. Bruce, frustrated by their persistence, tried to shield Kimmy from the intrusive lenses.

"Step back, please!" he demanded, his frustration evident. "I have my kid with me." Yet, the clamor continued, the photographers seemingly oblivious to his pleas. It was a challenging moment for Bruce, caught between the desire to protect his daughter and the relentless pursuit of the media.

Growing increasingly frustrated, Bruce decided to take matters into his own hands. He lifted Kimmy into his arms, creating a human barrier between her and the flashing cameras. Despite this, Kimmy, with a mixture of innocence and curiosity, began to wave and smile at the photographers.

The unexpected openness from Kimmy, however, did little to deter the paparazzi. Bruce, feeling a rising sense of frustration, led Kimmy into the venue, the persistent flashes gradually fading as they left the chaotic scene behind.

Once inside, Bruce set Kimmy down, a mixture of relief and concern etched on his face. "You handled that well, sweetheart," he said, his tone a blend of pride and exasperation. As they prepared for Kimmy's figure skating debut, Bruce couldn't help but wonder how he could shield her from the relentless gaze of the public eye while allowing her to shine on the ice.

As they walked further into the venue, the echoes of the paparazzi chaos fading, Bruce took a deep breath. He knelt down to Kimmy's eye level, a gentle smile replacing the frustration on his face. "You know, Kimmy, not everyone is as kind as you are. Sometimes, people can be a little overwhelming, and we have to be careful."

Kimmy nodded, her wide eyes reflecting both innocence and a surprising wisdom beyond her years. "Are they like the strangers you told me about?" she asked, recalling the conversations they had about safety and strangers.

Bruce nodded, appreciating her understanding. "Exactly, sweetheart. It's important to be cautious, but it's also good to remember that not everyone has bad intentions. Some just want to share in your happiness, like those photographers, even if they go about it in a noisy way."

They reached the entrance of the arena, the figure skating music filling the air. Bruce held Kimmy's hand once again, leading her toward the ice rink. As they found their seats, he continued, "It's a bit like life, Kimmy. We encounter all sorts of people, and it's about finding a balance between protecting ourselves and being open to the kindness that others may offer."

Kimmy looked up at her father, a thoughtful expression on her face. "So, like skating on the ice!"

Bruce chuckled, proud of his daughter's analogy. "Exactly, Kimmy. Just like finding your balance on the ice, finding your balance with people takes time. And sometimes, they might surprise you with kindness, just like you did with the paparazzi out there. I'm sure they didn't expect the daughter of a man like me to be so open."

Kimmy grinned, her small hand squeezing her father's. The warmth of the arena, the soft hum of the crowd, and the anticipation of Kimmy's performance created a heartwarming atmosphere. As the figure skating competition began, Bruce reflected on the unexpected lessons of the day—lessons about navigating through the world, understanding people's intentions, and finding balance amid the flurry of life's moments.