Chapter XIX

Hey all it's me! The story Spotify playlist can be found here ~ https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1ObP4kekN25MjfPG4R8dHt?si=uTex2MLJT0qXsKP0T0aKcg

if the link gives you trouble, search up the playlist titled Depressed Evil Lady Shit :)

On with the story! 💜🦋

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

Bruce stepped over to his laptop, located in his bedroom. As he placed the USB into the port, he wondered if this was the right choice. Did he truly want to see everything that happened to his child? He wanted to understand. He wanted to be there to comfort her, but he wasn't sure it would be of any help.

In spite of his reservations, the stoic father opted to do it anyway. He placed his bluetooth earbuds in each ear and started the tapes.

He spent the majority of the time fast forwarding though the nights where Kim and Connor were alone, without Jason. When he finally encountered a moment where Jason came to do his work, he found they were all quite similar. Jason would enter, taunt Kim, strap her down, or leave her as is before torturing her. He used every device Bruce could think of, and just about everything that would inflict a maximum level of pain. Through it all, Jason seemed to enjoy it. The whipping, the cutting, the sheer sound of her screams. At times, Bruce found that Jason would ask Kim for a number, to which she would recite desperately and breathlessly. Bruce knew this tactic all too well. Jason had forced her to count each and every time he inflicted another injury on her, likely to keep her sane, and present in the moment. Bruce only made it through about 20 minutes of hearing his child's screaming, begging, and crying before he slammed the laptop shut and covered his mouth. He stood up and walked around his bedroom, rubbing his face over and over as rage and sorrow boiled inside. He plopped down on a nearby armchair and rested his elbow on his knee. His leg shook with anxiety as inevitable tears streamed from his eyes.

"Master Bruce."

Bruce stood up and turned toward his window immediately, fearing showing weakness, even to his loyal butler. "Yes, Alfred?" He choked on his words.

"I regret to inform you that Kimberly did not touch her dinner tonight. I'd suggest, maybe tomorrow, you share a meal with her. It might encourage her to eat." Alfred stood by at the door with his hands behind his back.

Bruce took a deep breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's fine, thank you, Alfred."

"Are you alright, sir?"

Bruce pursed his lips and hung his head. He closed his eyes tightly in an attempt at holding himself together. "Yes. I'm fine."

"They shot you, Bruce. There was nothing you could have done." Alfred stepped forward.

Bruce inhaled sharply. "I know that!" He snapped.

"Then please..." Alfred hesitated before placing a hand on the man's shoulder, the man he raised so graciously. "Do not blame yourself." His face softened as Bruce failed to respond. "Look at me, my boy." Bruce blinked before hesitantly making eye contact with the butler. "You did not fail that child. All she knows is that you saved her. You took her away from there. Please, Master Bruce. You must stay strong for your daughter. I know you can't stand to see her this way. It's very clear to this family how much it pains you, but by no means does anyone believe you could have stopped this." He smiled softly and retreated backwards. "This family is all that can distract her from this pain. And you... You're stronger than all of us. No one is more capable of healing her than you. Make her feel safe, as you always have, and I promise you, even through all her suffering...