Chapter XX

Bruce hadn't spoken to Kim since they arrived back at Wayne Manor. Alfred found them both unconscious in their totaled car just outside the gate. After they were hauled inside, Bruce rushed straight to the cave without a word, leaving Kimberly a drugged mess on the couch. Now, she lay calmly across from the TV, stroking her dog gently as she watched her reality shows. She sensed Alfred come up behind her and looked up. "What is it...?" She whispered sleepily.

"Master Bruce wants to see you at the pool. He's instructed you to change clothes." Alfred reached for the remote and shut off the TV.

Kim sighed and stood up slowly. "Okay..."

•••

Kim slid open the door from the indoor pool to the outdoor pool and crossed her arms at her father, who stood within the water, resting his back on the side of the pool. She rested her weight onto one hip. "You always tell me everything. Every case. You ran off and didn't tell me a thing. Why?" She hissed.

"Get in and relax, Kimmy." Bruce pointed toward the water. Kim complied and gently slid into the water. She swam to her father and stood expectantly in front of him. He rolled his eyes and sighed. "You remember that rhyme I used to tell you before bed? The one my father told me?"

"No...? You had a lot of rhymes." She leaned her head back and allowed the water to swallow her long black hair.

"The one about the Court of Owls." Bruce splashed water in her direction.

"Oh, Beware the Court of Owls." She pushed her legs up and floated along the surface calmly.

"Well, they're real. A cult of Gotham's Elites. And they asked me to join."

"Will you?"

"Told them I needed some time to think it over." Bruce sighed and splashed water on his face. "But no. I'm going out tonight to investigate them."

"With Damian?" Kim eyed the scars on her father's shirtless figure. She always wondered how the great Batman could be so invincible. After her brutal torture, she supposed he'd passed on that trait to her as well. She still wondered how she managed to survive. Physically at least.

"No. He snuck out when we left for dinner." Bruce hauled himself onto the wall of the pool, clasping his hands in front of him. "That boy is going to be the death of me."

"Let him do that he wants. He's an obligation. It's not like you love him. You didn't raise him." Kim shrugged. "And I don't want him here. He's a merciless assassin."

"Don't do that, Kim..." Bruce shook his head. "He's your brother."

"Be real with yourself, Dad. You feel obligated to have him around." Kim raised her eyebrows questioningly. "Am I wrong?"

Bruce scratched his head. "I'm not talking about this with you, Kimmy."

"I want him gone." Kim rested her head in the water. "Do you think I could go with you tonight?" She swam toward the wall and rested her elbows on it.

"No. You stay here." Bruce leaned forward. "It's too dangerous."

"Dad, I can't stay here with Jason down there." She shook her head. "I'm afraid he's going to get out of there and come after me or something."

Bruce eyed the scars all along his daughter's body with sorrow. He placed his hand on her shoulder. "Kim. You have nothing to be afraid of. Not anymore. I promise." He stroked her cheek with his thumb.

"I have everything to be afraid of." Kim closed her eyes. "I'll be alright." She leaned back and floated calmly on her back. "I'll see you in the morning. Okay?" She smiled softly toward her father. It was the first smile Bruce had seen in months from the struggling child. He returned the grin and nodded. He headed off to the cave, hoping to find some form of a lead on the Court of Owls.