Chapter II

Kim awoke the next morning with immediate intent to ready herself for school. She hopped into the shower, washed herself up, and dressed into her school uniform. He headed down the stairs and into the kitchen, finding Bruce standing in his suit, his hands on the counter, and his head lowered. "What's going on?"

"Kim..." Bruce stood up straight and walked toward his daughter, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Go upstairs and get changed. I've called the school, and told them you're away visiting your brother."

"What?" Kim narrowed her eyes. "Why?!"

"Dick found out some vital information about the Joker, and his plans. At the moment, it's not safe for you to leave the manor." He took a cup of coffee from Alfred's outstretched hand. Kim peered at the butler in confusion, however, he made it clear that he was simply here to watch, and not to involve himself.

"So you take me out of school?" Kim threw her arms up in frustration. "What happened to not shutting down? What happened to taking that fear and running with it?!"

"This is different, Kim." Bruce sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Your life is in danger, and you're well aware he's not afraid to get out there in broad daylight."

"But, that's ridiculous! You're not afraid of anything!" Kim whined.

"Kimberly!" Bruce snapped, his voice rising higher than he'd intended. Kim immediately backed down and pursed her lips. "Enough." He bent down and grasped both of her arms. "You're not leaving this manor until we've figured this out, and the Joker is no longer a threat to you. Do you understand me?"

Kim's expression hardened. She pushed Bruce away by his chest, and stomped away, her black pup following closely at her side. "This is stupid! I can't stay here forever!"

Bruce listened to her footsteps until he could no longer hear them. He sat down at the kitchen island and buried his face in his hand. "What am I going to do with her?"

"It seems she takes after her father." Alfred chuckled. "Stubborn as always."

"She won't follow my orders, regardless of what I do or say." He sighed. "She has to stay here. Our security is better than the goddamn Pentagon, and she wants to run off and do... Whatever it is girls her age do these days."

"Perhaps you should stay home today as well, Master Bruce." Alfred suggested. "Why not train her? Allow her to release some of her anger toward you."

"That doesn't sound healthy." Bruce chuckled. "Let her release her anger by punching and kicking me?"

"She's never beaten you, Bruce. Besides... It may just allow you the opportunity to explain to her why you've locked her away."

Bruce looked at Alfred with narrowed eyes, and yet, he stood up and pressed the button for Kim's bedroom on the intercom. What do you want? Her frustrated voice hissed through the speakers.

"Head down to the Batcave. 3 minutes. That's an order."

Whatever.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Kim stood directly across from her father, dressed appropriately in her leggings and sports bra. She took a fighting stance, awaiting his first move. After a few seconds, she realized he was waiting for her to lunge at him. She couldn't contain herself. She made a beeline for his legs, sliding down as she attempted to trip him with her ankle. She should have known her small stature wouldn't do much to move him. She'd tried this move before, and failed. He hopped over her with ease, and pinned her arm down with his knee. "You can do better than that."