Chapter XI

Jason appeared in the doorway to the cell, this time with a naked Kimberly hanging haphazardly by her hair. "Goodnight, kids." He tossed the girl into the cell. She landed with a sickening thud, and remained in her position. Connor, having endured another experiment from the doctors, no longer had any tubes in his chest, leaving him free to hold her as he wished. He immediately crawled toward her, ignoring his aching muscles. He listened carefully as she began to sob weakly. His heart sank at the sight of her wounds. No part of her upper body was left untouched by the knife and whip Jason used on her. She bled. She trembled. She cried. Connor took the girl into his arms and held her closely. She hissed in pain as he placed his hands along her back.

Connor kissed the top of her head ever so gently. He found she lacked the strength to wrap her arms around him. Her legs hadn't moved despite her new position. On top of it all, she could hardly speak, and her breathing was incredibly labored. Slowly, he hugged her tighter. "It's okay..." He whispered. "It's okay..."

"Connor..." She gasped in pain. "I can't..." She sobbed breathlessly. "I..."

"Shhh..." He cooed, pursing his lips. Despite both of their tortured souls, he knew full well that Kimberly was only human. She'd suffer more than he could ever hope to in her place. She'd feel every bit of her torture, suffer every hunger pain, every infection, and every wound. He was far stronger than she was, and for that he cursed himself. He wanted nothing more than to take her place in this hell. "It's okay... I'm here..."

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

"So why didn't you invite any of your girlfriends here?" Connor asked as he floated quietly across the Wayne's pool.

"Are you kidding?" Kim turned onto her back and swam up beside him. "They're not real friends. They just want to swim in this pool and walk around the great Wayne Manor." She scoffed. "All they care about is my Dad's money."

"What if that's all I cared about?" Connor smirked. Kimberly planted her feet at the bottom of the pool and pushed all of her weight onto him.

"You idiot!" She giggled. "If that's all you cared about you wouldn't be here! I know people." She widened her eyes in a creepy fashion. "I get vibes..."

Connor threw his head back in laughter. "No you don't, you're just a silly little human. Can you fly, huh?" He launched himself into the air, splashing a tidal wave onto the young girl.

"Hey!" Bruce shouted through the open window. "Connor Kent, you better cut that shit out in my yard!"

"Ooooo..." Kim covered her mouth as she snickered.

Connor returned to the pool, a sheepish look on his face. "Sorry, Bruce!"

"Both of you, out of the pool! Take a shower and get ready for dinner!" He ordered. "Now!"

"You know what that means..." Kimberly whispered in Connor's direction. "Your Dad is running late..."

"He doesn't have to take it out on me!" Connor pouted, lifting himself out of the pool.

"Come on, let's get ready." Kimberly wrapped herself in a towel and rushed inside before her father could protest any longer.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•