Chapter XIII

Attention:

From this point forward, this story will follow the chronological order of the DC Animated Movie Universe AND THEN Young Justice and starting at:

Son of Batman

And continuing with

Batman vs. Robin
Batman: Bad Blood

And continuing through the Young Justice Universe

This is intended to be a longer story!! So sit down and enjoy the ride! 🦋

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

Bruce rested his head on the back of the recliner as he rocked back and forth, his exhausted child beginning to doze off on his lap. He kept her warm after a long shower. As he looked down at her cheeks, he smirked and shook his head at the sight of her sunburn. Alfred practically forced Bruce to join her, Clark, and Connor at the beach. The last thing he wanted to do was watch the two 6 year olds play all day and come home filthy. In spite of that, the sight of their smiles and the sound of their laughter warmed both the father's hearts. There was one thing Bruce and Clark had in common, and that was the fact that neither of them expected to become fathers. Both of their children had come at such an inopportune time in their lives. Still, Bruce was overjoyed that Kimberly had someone to grow up with. Someone to forever be her dearest friend. He smiled softly and rocked at a gentler pace, hoping she would soon fall asleep. Every night, Kimberly needed to begin her rest on Bruce's lap, or in his bed, otherwise, she couldn't sleep. The only way she managed to fall asleep was beside her father. Bruce cursed himself for coddling her bedtime fears, however, he didn't mind spending the extra time with her. He had no intentions of going to sleep, for the Gotham nights called to the Bat. Helping his precious daughter fall asleep was his own way of saying goodbye until morning, and possibly, forever.

"Can we have pancakes tomorrow, Daddy?" Kimberly whispered as she twirled her hair between her fingers sleepily.

"I don't know Kimmy, that's a lot of sugar, and you had a lot of snacks today." Bruce replied, half expecting a tantrum to ensue. Instead, Kimberly nestled further into his chest and grabbed the end of the blanket.

"Okay..." She hummed softly.

It was only a few minutes before the girl fell asleep.

Her breathing grew slow and heavy, and her body grew limp. Bruce ceased his rocking and laid his head back. He closed his eyes as his heart began to melt. Alfred appeared in the doorway and outstretched his arms. "Would you like me to take her to her room?"

Bruce shook his head slowly, his eyes remaining closed. "No, that's alright... I'll take her when I'm ready."

"To think, you almost gave her away, not 3 years ago." Alfred chuckled and picked up the used glass of water beside the pair.

Bruce scoffed. "You didn't sit through that tantrum." He adjusted his position as he felt himself beginning to fall asleep. "She's a good girl. She's been a sweetheart from the moment she was born. I didn't think I was cut out to be a father."