Chapter VIII

Kimberly slipped on her new suit. It hugged her body flawlessly. It was equipped with a shiny leotard, an apron style drape on the back and front, a black cloak, and thigh high stealth boots. She required no weapons as she had in her Batgirl suit, for she was now the weapon herself. She looked into her mirror and triggered her transformation. Her irises and pupils disappeared, leaving fully white scleras in their place, and her hair turned white from the roots to the ends. Her hands turned a deep black, the color change stopping just before her elbows. She looked at herself up and down, finding a smirk appearing on her face.

"I look totally badass..." She whispered to herself.

Her confidence quickly wavered as she realized she would have to hurt others to get what she wanted. In many ways, it didn't matter to her. Connor was her dearest friend, and a loving companion to her. It didn't matter what she had to do. She had to get him back.

As she opened her bedroom window, she contemplated actually going. Her father was still home, likely in the Batcave. He wouldn't approve of her going out by herself, however, she was far more powerful than she had been. In many ways, she no longer needed his protection. She knew this wouldn't stop her worried father, but her new power changed her confidence in herself drastically.

Kimberly hopped down into the courtyard and past the carefully sculpted hedges. As she approached the wall leading to the outside, she sensed her father's presence behind her. "I knew I should have waited until you left for the night..." she whispered.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Kimberly spun around and crossed her arms. "I need to find Connor, Dad."

"You're not leaving this manor, Kim..." Bruce stepped forward. "The people that took him are after every one of you kids. It's too dangerous."

Kimberly narrowed her eyes. "I'm going. You can't stop me."

"You're not going anywhere." Bruce grasped her arm firmly. "I don't care how important he is to you. I won't have you falling into their hands."

"But you'll let Connor take the fall?!"

"Connor is not my child! Let the Justice League handle this!"

"How could you say that?! You fucking raised him just as much if not more than Clark! How can you be so uncaring?!"

The two argued for several minutes, their voices towering over each other. Neither of them could get a word in without being interrupted.

"Kim this isn't a discussion!"

"I already lost Jason, I won't lose Connor too! I'm not losing anyone else! He's my best friend, don't you understand?!"

"Jason's alive, Kim!"

"But he'll never be the same again! I cant let this happen to anyone else that I love!"

"You don't know if you'll find anything! Clark can handle this, he doesn't need your help!"

"Even the great and mighty Superman can't find him! I can reach into people's minds! No one else can do that!"

"I know what you're planning to do, Kim. You'll do whatever it takes to save your friend, and I understand that, but your power is dangerous!"

"You don't—" Finally, Bruce grasped both of his daughter's arms and shook her violently.

"I won't lose you, Kimberly!" Bruce's eyes hardened as he seethed with anger. Slowly, he sighed and looked down. "I almost lost you once... I won't do that again."

Kimberly's eyes filled with tears. "Dad... He'll die out there." She whispered.

"We'll find him." He caressed her arms gently. "He'll be alright."