Chapter XVI

Kim was quietly playing beside the long driveway of her home. She sat down on the grass near the asphalt, a picnic blanket protecting her from pollen and insects. At just the tender age of 8, she spent an incredible amount of time outdoors, playing with her stuffed animals and soaking up the sun. Wayne Manor was incredibly safe, for the most part, so her father and caretakers saw no reason to supervise her while she was outdoors. This time, however, while her father worked down in the Batcave, she snuck into the front of the mansion, hoping to see her older brother driving in from school. She knew it was nearing time, and couldn't wait to greet him with the new toys Bruce purchased for her. She turned her attention away from her stuffed bunny and toward the electronic gates, the likes of which could only be opened with a code. A woman stood calmly, waving happily toward her. Kim stood up slowly and approached the gate. The woman bent down and grasped the bars. "Hey, little girl..." In Kim's eyes, this woman was beautiful. She had blonde hair, very light makeup that accentuated her natural beauty, and a long, floral dress reaching down to her ankles.

"Hello." Kim smiled brightly.

"What's your name, sweetie?" The woman tilted her head.

"I'm Kimmy."

"Kimmyyy..." She smiled and reached her arm through the fence. "What a pretty name for a gorgeous little girl." The woman grasped a lock of her hair gently. "You look just like your daddy, baby."

"Who're you?" Kim giggled as the woman brushed her fingers along her neck. "Your face looks like mine." She jeered.

"That's 'cause I'm your Momma, lovie." The woman grasped her arm gently.

"Daddy said my Mom is dead." Kim tilted her head in confusion.

"Oh, but I'm right here. Your daddy can't protect you, hunny." She pulled the girl closer to the gate. "Come with me. I'll keep you safe and sound, darlin'."

Kim shook her head. "I like it here."

"Baby—"

"Kimberly!" Bruce called as she raced down the driveway. "Kimmy." He pulled her into his arms by her waist and held her tightly. He brushed her hair away from her face and looked into her eyes. Kimberly returned his gaze with one of confusion. "What are you doing out here by yourself?" He turned his head and looked into the woman's eyes as she stood. "Harley." He narrowed his own eyes and set his daughter down, ensuring she remained behind him. "Get out of here. Now!"

"She's mine, Brucey." Harley grimaced. "She belongs to me!"

"Don't make me call the police." He stepped forward, causing Kimberly to cry.

"What's going on...?" Kim wailed.

"Kimmy, it's alright, baby. Come with Momma!"

"Stay away from my daughter, Harley!" Bruce came close to the fence, ignoring the crying child behind him. "Get out of here, or you'll regret it."

"She's mine!" Harley grabbed Bruce's suit tightly and pulled him against the fence. Bruce swiftly stuck his leg through and kicked her backwards. Harley responded by pulling her revolver from her purse and pointing it at him. "Give her to me, Bats. She belongs with her Momma."

"You won't shoot. Not with her here." Bruce smirked, and stepped backward. He avoided turning his back to her. He lifted his daughter into his arms and allowed her to rest her head on his shoulder. Pulling out his phone, he dialed 911. At the click, he spoke. "Hello, I'm calling from Wayne Manor. I have an intruder. She attempted to kidnap my daughter."