Chapter III

The young girl felt the force of the bullet striking her stomach before she heard the gunshot. She stumbled backward and held her stomach tightly, in complete shock. The hooded man then aimed his own gun toward her chest, striking her in her breast. The second shot launched Kim back nearly 10 feet before she fell to the ground on her back. She cried out in pain and turned onto her side to alleviate her own agony.

Kim held back her tears as the hooded man stood over her, his masked head tilted as he observed her face. "You're just as beautiful as you were last time I saw you..." He muttered.

"Please..." She whispered. "Leave me alone..." The man held a large syringe, containing glowing, orange fluid within. "No!" He plunged the needle into the side of her neck, drawing a terrified cry from the girl.  The fluid she'd been injected with burned her neck to no end, the same sensation soon traveling down her arms and legs. She cried out in sheer agony, unable to stop her tears from falling. She grew so distracted by her own pain, that as she finally looked down toward her wounds, she found the man slicing open her dress with a knife.

He opened the dress, revealing her bra and underwear to him. Kim shook with fear as she prepared for the worst. The man then sliced open her bra, exposing her breasts to him. "Well...." He snickered. "It's good to see you."

"Who are you...?" She sobbed. Her cries were interrupted by a firm grip on her throat, which cut off her air supply in seconds. He squeezed her neck so hard, she was sure he could pop off her head with little effort. She closed her eyes, and grasped his wrist tightly, praying her end would come quickly and painlessly. "Please..." She felt his cold, gloved hand grope her breasts and whimpered in fear. "Stop..."

"Now..." He purred. "Why should I?"

The loud cackling of the Joker sent chills down the young girl's spine. She sobbed and trembled violently. "Please, please, no... No..."

The Joker bent down above her head. He snickered, and turned a finger toward the wound in her breast. "Why are you crying, baby girl?" She shrieked in pain, but was quickly silenced by a finger to her lips. Mercilessly, the Joker lined her lips with blood, stretching the lines out past the sides of her lips and leaving an eerie smile painted along her colorless face. "There, now... That's better." He guffawed above her shivering, bare frame. "Why don't we have some fun, my little monster...?"

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Bruce approached the front desk of Wayne Tower. He smiled gently toward the receptionist as he opened up his newest files. He flipped through hundreds of pages, some containing items to sign, and others to simply look over and pass on to his subordinates. He pinched the bridge of his nose, a headache beginning to ensue. "Long night, Mr. Wayne?" The young woman smiled happily toward him.

"Feels like I have a toddler again." He chuckled. "Lots of work to catch up on." He stepped over toward his mini office, where he preferred to look over his work closer to his partners. He was easily accessible from this point, and many employees of the tower preferred for him to remain downstairs in the event they needed to reach him quickly. As he shut the door behind him, he opened his phone, finding a message from Kim.

coming. can we get lunch?

Bruce replied swiftly and sat down at his desk. He opened his computer in hopes of finding a place nearby that would deliver food accommodating Kim's picky eating. Still, a pit fell into his stomach. Her text was nearly half an hour ago. To add to his stress, he was fully aware his daughter was constantly on her phone, especially in the car. He looked back down at his screen, silently praying for it to buzz. "Where are you, Kimberly...?" He whispered.