Chapter XXVI

The team engaged in rigorous training, their movements reflecting the intensity of the workout. In a quiet corner, Kim observed, feeling a sense of detachment. Sweat dripped from her teammates as they practiced close combat, clearly exhausted but reveling in the challenge. Connor sparred with Kid Flash, Artemis faced off against Nightwing, and Kori supervised, offering corrections with an air of authority.

Kim sighed, leaning her head against the training room wall when Kori approached. "Kimmy, why don't you show me some of what you can do?" Kori inquired, her gaze filled with curiosity.

"Sorry," Kim shook her head. "Close combat isn't feasible for me anymore. I could transform, but it takes a toll, and I'd rather save it for when we're working on long-range combat."

"Why are you here then?" Kori asked, her glowing green eyes searching for answers.

"Batman," Kim replied, gently stroking her sleeping hellhound. "I'd rather be home, meeting with an agent about fashion week."

"Okay, that's enough for today," Dick announced, ending the training session.

Artemis, eager for action, crossed her arms. "Any news on missions?"

"Nothing yet, but soon, for sure," Kori responded with excitement.

Artemis turned her attention to Kim, questioning her presence. "Shouldn't she be training then?"

"She doesn't have to," Dick intervened, sensing tension rising.

Artemis, not satisfied, shook her head. "Why does she get to sit while we're sweating bullets? What is she even doing here if she's useless?"

Kim smiled, holding back insults, but the atmosphere intensified. "What is your problem...?" She muttered. Dick stepped between the two girls, urging Artemis to refrain from unnecessary conflict.

"What are you hiding?" Artemis raised an eyebrow. "She's not as powerful as you say, is she? She's the weakest link, isn't she?"

"I am the most powerful person here, you arrogant slut!" Kim asserted, standing up abruptly. "We all know who the weakest link is." Kim confronted Artemis. "Not only are you short and skinny like me, but you also have no powers. None! It's you." She seethed. "I don't know what your problem is with me. I won't say you're jealous, because I already know you must be. And if you're not, then get the fuck out of my face, you cunt!"

"Whoa, whoa!" Kid Flash intervened, fearing physical confrontation.

Connor stepped in, guiding Kim away from the escalating tension. Artemis, however, couldn't resist a final jab as the door closed behind them. "Yeah, hide behind your boyfriend bitch!"

Dick sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "That was unacceptable, from both of you. The League will hear about this infighting. I'll speak to Twilight, and you..." He directed his gaze at Artemis. "Take my advice. Don't pick fights with someone you know nothing about."

Artemis scoffed, rolling her eyes, and headed toward the lounge. "Yes, chef," she retorted sarcastically.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

Kim's legs fidgeted anxiously in the dull waiting room, her father focused on his smartphone beside her. The anticipation for Dr. Reynolds in Gotham General Hospital's private practice building left her feeling uneasy. Despite being accustomed to public recognition, the stares from others in the lobby made her squirm, knowing that soon the public would become aware of her health problems, causing concern for her career.