xlviii

NOW PLAYING...
3 A.M. by SURVIVE SAID THE PROPHET

"Well, you may be dead, but think of things in a

"Well, you may be dead, but think of things in a... lighter sense--I am free and you don't have to go through what I did."

≛✪≛

A truck pulled up to the body. The sky was still dark, so they took their time putting the girl in the body bag. The Speedwagon Foundation put her on an examination table. One sat in the back with the corpse with two in the driver and passenger, respectively.

"This is Speedwagon Foundation car three. We have collected (Y/N) (L/N) the Third's body. Heading north as well; will meet up with car two."

≛✪≛

Jotaro sat in silence on the plane back to Japan. Joseph looked at him. "Thinking?"

"Grieving," he corrected.

The older one inhaled. "Look, I won't say 'I told you so' or 'I warned you' or any of that stuff. I'm... upset too." Jotaro didn't respond. But Joseph continued, "Do you want me to tell Holly and your grandmother or do you?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Then... we'll... both do it, I guess." Joseph scratched the back of his neck.

Without turning his head away from the window, Jotaro spoke: "What would you have done if her grandmother died while traveling with you?"

Joseph, caught off guard, tried to find the words to respond, but struggled to do so. They sat in silence the rest of the way, the occasional glance from Jotaro at his Polaroid photo. Every once in a while, a smile, however, would appear on his face as he reminisced, trying to think of the good.

≛✪≛

The phone rang. An eager, young helper of (Y/N) (L/N) came bustling in from the kitchen to the living room to answer it. "Hello! This is Michael of the Speedwagon Foundation! Are you calling for Miss (L/N)?... Ah, okay, and what time will you be arriving?... Sounds good, I will let her know! Thank you, have a good da--Oh there's more?... I see... Uh-huh.... Okay... Yes, I shall tell her. Thank you again... Alright, goodbye."

After ending the call, Michael knocked on the bedroom door. "Um, excuse me, Miss (L/N)... Mind if I come in?"

"Yes." He entered the dark room with nothing but the television lighting the room. (Y/N)'s eyes were glued to the television screen. "Have you seen the news...? Some commotion in Egypt; Cairo, I believe."

"I did, ma'am."

"Quite a few dead, some in critical condition, and a lot hurt, including some animals."

"I heard on the radio, ma'am."

"While you were cleaning the kitchen?"

He nodded. "Lunch was quite messy."