xxiii

NOW PLAYING...
RAINY DAYS IN LA by ADAM&STEVE, WATERPARKS

Out from the water came a submarine Joseph had Avdol purchase for the trip

Out from the water came a submarine Joseph had Avdol purchase for the trip. It was quite large, being able to hold much more than just six people. However, it was to be expected that he had purchased it on the Joestar's dime. 

The Red Sea was as beautiful as everyone said it was. Growing up with your father working as a scientist, it was expected of you to read a myriad of books relating to science. You remember sitting on your father's lap as a small toddler as he showed you pictures of fish and told you their scientific names that were from the very body of water you found yourself in.

With your hands and face pressed against the window, you looked at all of the marine life. You sighed, speaking under your breath. "Do you see me from heaven, Papa, with your head in the clouds? I made it... Just like you wanted to."

"Drei, what are you doing mumbling to yourself over there?" Joseph questioned, snapping you out of your thoughts. "Did you even hear what I said?"

"I--No. No, I didn't... Sorry." You looked down, tucking your hair shyly behind your ear and folding your hands in front of you. "What is it you were saying?"

"This is a vessel that the rich use to explore the seafloor for pleasure. As you've seemingly already discovered, it even has windows--"

"Oh, nice!" Polnareff came rushing over to look out of the glass himself. "I've always liked this kind of thing! I wish I could've ridden it with a cute girl..."

You cleared your throat. "You sayin' I'm not a cute enough girl?" You smirked.

"I see you haven't changed, Polnareff," Avdol stated. "But, we didn't come here to play."

Joseph looked back at you. "Anyway, Drei, as I was going to say before I was cut off, I'm sure your father, Marriott, would spend a lot of his time in something like this. Your grandmother told me he was interested in discovering new creatures."

"Yeah, he... he was..." you responded, approaching the window once more, this time only putting your hand on it and your face about a foot away as to not fog it up. "He told me about how my grandmother would bring him to the Speedwagon Foundation all the time and it sort of... influenced him. He'd say things like 'If vampires, Hamon, and men who managed to become ultimate lifeforms can exist, imagine what lies in the oceans! There's so much we haven't explored yet, Drei; who knows what's hiding away!' He had a passion for that sort of stuff. I think that's why he was so happy to have moved to Japan and live surrounded by water..." You dried your cheek upon realizing you were crying. "But... he never got to go into something like this. He was going to--it was a part of his job--but mom killed him before he could. He spent his whole life in boats on top of the water, but never in it as he wished to do..."

Joseph's eyes widened. "So it was your mother? How did you figure it out?"

You shrugged. "I overheard Dio say so when she kidnapped me..." You blinked with a gulp, a few more tears falling from your eyes. "I-I'm sorry, I don't want to talk about this anymore."