xxiv

NOW PLAYING...

ENEMY (WITH JID) - FROM THE SERIES ARCANE LEAGUE OF LEGENDS by IMAGINE DRAGONS, JID, ARCANE, LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

The submarine shook as everyone readied themselves to plumage into the dark, cold, and murky water that awaited them

"Th-This isn't good!" stuttered Polnareff.

"Don't lose your cool," advised Joseph. "It's times like these when men need to be prepared." You crossed your arms. "It's hard to get this stuff on without my artificial hand. Who here has scuba dived before?"

You looked over at the old man, your lower part of your face being covered by your makeshift mask as you tied your hood under your chin to keep it tight. You shook your head, as the only "experience" you had acquired was from your father's line of work. Your answer seemed to be the consensus between your group. 

"The High Priestess is still attacking in the next room!" announced Avdol. "Quickly, teach us how to dive!"

"Don't panic, Avdol. Above all, never panic. That's the most important thing in scuba diving. When you're underwater, for every ten meters you are under the surface, the pressure increases by one atmosphere. At the surface, there's one atmosphere of pressure. We're forty meters below the surface right now, so we'll endure five atmospheres of pressure. If we try to surface immediately, our lungs and blood vessels will burst. We have to go up slowly so our bodies can adjust."

You tugged on Jotaro's jacket and gestured to yourself, then tilted your head. He then proceeded to look at his grandfather. "What about Drei?"

Joseph looked at you. "Well, I'm sure it'll be different for a vampire. She doesn't need her lungs that much anymore, but I'm sure she'll still need the blood flowing through her body. I could be wrong, though. She's free to surface whenever she pleases if she would like to at least try it."

You shook your head, not wanting to just leave everyone to fight for themselves. 

"Well, anyway, we're near the Egyptian coast, so we'll go up along the seafloor. Now... I'm going to let water in." As it poured in, the liquid slowly rising, Joseph held up a piece of equipment. "This is a regulator. There's a valve inside that only lets in air from the tank when you breathe in. When you exhale, your breath comes out the left side." It was not information you needed as you were not wearing the equipment for obvious reasons. 

"What about your spit?" Polnareff asked. "What happens if spit or phlegm comes out while your underwater."

"That stuff just comes out here. By the way, this should be obvious, but we can't talk underwater. We'll use hand signals instead."

Wow, I got a head start on that, you thought sarcastically. 

"Let's keep things simple and use two. When everything is fine, we'll use this to say okay. " He made a circle with his pointer finger and thumb with the other three fingers being kept up. "When things aren't good, use this." He kept his thumb and pinkie up while the other three were tilted down.