Chapter 3.1 - Ripples of Consequence

Perched on the riverbank, I observed the Turned at work. Its gargantuan hands plunged into the churning, frothy waters, effortlessly extracting hefty rocks and depositing them into an ever-growing mound beside me. My admiration for its raw power was broken by alarm as it hurled a colossal boulder in my direction. I dodged swiftly, feeling the rush of air as the rock crashed where I stood just moments ago.

"Hey, watch it!" I shouted, my voice laced with more irritation than fear.

The creature paused, directing its imposing head towards me. Six eyes narrowed, conveying a distinct annoyance, while bony ridges along its neck bristled defensively.

"Move aside," it grumbled in a deep tone, alternating between speaking with both voice and mind - both tinged with frustration. "You hinder my work."

I stood defiantly, arms crossed, challenging its glare with a sneer of my own. "Trust goes both ways. I need to understand your group's intentions before I can believe this pipe plan is safe. How did you even end up living among humans?"

The creature sighed deeply, a hint of weariness in its voice, its tail flicking in apparent irritation. "You question my motives yet presume my deceit. Why should I justify myself to a mind already closed?"

Mid-reply, I halted, the voice within me interjecting a moment of clarity. "Consider its perspective," the voice counseled. "It's shown divergence from the Hive, a chance for understanding. Maybe you should listen. Give it a chance."

My expression softened slightly, the realization of my quick judgment dawning on me. Trusting this being was a gamble, but the potential for understanding was too significant to dismiss outright.

"You have a point," I conceded, my tone more measured. "My distrust is..." I trailed off. We knew where my distrust came from. "I'm listening now. How did you break away from the Hive's influence?"

The Matriarch seemed to ponder my shift in attitude, its massive frame relaxing slightly. "Independence from the Hive is rare among us. I am an anomaly, choosing coexistence over conquest. My story is long and complex, but I assure you, we seek no harm to your kind."

I absorbed its words, my skepticism warring with a growing curiosity. Here was an enemy, possibly an ally, defying everything I thought I knew. Perhaps the most significant risks were those taken in the pursuit of understanding.

A wave of guilt washed over me as I realized how harshly I had judged the creature before giving it a chance to explain itself. Part of me wanted to apologize for my attitude - another part of me was still hesitant about trusting it. This was the enemy. And even though everything about the situation told me that I might be dreaming, that didn't mean I could afford to be an idiot.

I grit my teeth as I cast about for the right words, feeling my annoyance slowly giving way to curiosity about what exactly had happened for this creature to end up living among humans. This was a story worth hearing. Maybe not worth my life, however... But maybe I could coax it out of her, nonetheless. 

"You must understand why I am reluctant to simply believe what you have to say," I said, my voice tight. "I don't understand half of this situation. You can cut yourself off from the Hive? Why is this the first I'm hearing of such a thing?"

The Matriarch paused before replying, reaching into the spray of water once more and lifting a large rock. "Because any and all that do are caught and executed as traitors sooner or later. My existence has an expiration date." It dropped the rock back into the water with a loud plop, then resumed its task without missing a beat. "Most of our people are unaware of this ability. Nodes, Commanders and Matriarchs are made aware so that we can watch for it. Of course, that makes us prone to perhaps giving into it, but such is the risk of command. The more you know, the more damage you can do."