Heart of Darkness 3x19

Start from the beginning

"What is this?" Caroline demands.

"It's the decade dance. Remember, you two made us sign up to help?"

"No." Caroline picks up a boa. "This. The 20s. We're doing the 70s."

"Why are people decorating everything like it's a 20s dance?"
I ask.

"Too flashy, people. It's supposed to be speakeasy, not the World Fair." I hear Bekah say and turn and see her walking around giving orders like Care and sometime me usually does. Rebekah sees us and walks up to us. "Ah, good, you're here. I need help setting up the tables so, get to it." Rebekah tells Caroline.

"What do you think you're doing?" Caroline asks.

"Somebody has to be in charge."

"Yeah, me. I'm the chair of the Dance Committee. The theme of the decade dance is the 1970s"

"So, you'd rather dress in tacky colors with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age?" Bekah asks and I can't help but agree with her that 20s is better theme. "Honestly, I don't know what Tyler sees in you."

"A good girlfriend. See, unlike some other people, I don't sleep with everyone I make eye contact with."

"Maybe we can do both decades?" Matt suggests and I glare at him knowing he just caused a bigger fight.

"No." They say in union and at least they agree about something.

"Go on, Matt, don't be a coward. You know you loved my 20s idea when I presented it to the group." Rebekah says.

Caroline turns around and looks at Matt. "Traitor!"

"Bell bottoms and disco? I don't know, this just seemed cooler." Matt says.

"See? It's just cooler." Rebekah says in triumph.

Care turns to me. "Ana?"

"I'm sorry, it's just the 20s seems better then the 70s. Both are good, but the 20s are better." I say with guilt evident in my voice.

"Whatever. Have fun at your stupid dance." Caroline says and walks away.

______________________________________

After helping set the dance for a little bit I go and walk over to Rebekah who just finished giving everyone orders.

"Hey ,Bex."

"Hey."

I look to see if anyone is listening in on the conversation before saying. "I'm sorry about Finn. I know we talked about it after it happened but I wanted to check on you in person. I know you two weren't closest but-" She cuts me of.

"-he was still my brother."

"Yeah."

"After we finished the phone call last night I talked to Kol, he tried to seem like he didn't care but it's obvious he does care. I also called Elijah and he acted like Elijah does, he talked all proper without emotions but I could hear sadness in his voice."

"It's how we all deal with loss. Kol pretends he doesn't care, Elijah acts all strong and Nik is Nik." She says.

"I need to go check on Ric,but if you need someone to talk to or just need a friend I'm always there for you and so is Jenna."

"Thank you and have fun babysitting Alaric." Rebekah says.

"I will. Bye Bex."

"Bye."

_____________________________________

I arrive at the Salvatore boarding house and find Stefan and Ric in the basement. Ric is inside a cell and Stefan is sitting outside. I send Stefan to go away for a while considering I got this. I sit outside on a chair and pull out my English textbook and start studying for the upcoming test. "You know I'm not a kid, you don't need to babysit me." Ric tells me.

"I'm not babysitting you, I'm just simply sitting here in front of your cell and studying for my upcoming English test.

"That is just another way of saying you are here to babysit me."

"Call it whatever you want Ric but you're making me leave. You're stuck with me."

"I'm fine, I don't need a babysitter."

"You maybe think you don't need me but I want to be here. After all the Gilbert ring is the reason why you are stuck in a cell and my last name is Gilbert."

"Well then, thank you for staying with me."

"Your welcome."

Stefan took over watching Ric. He wanted and needed to use a different way of getting the location of last white oak stake from Ric. He didn't want me to be there in case things turn ugly. This was a good for me considering I still need to decide what to wear for the decade dance. There is also the issue of my situation with Nik. I have no idea how I feel about him. Am I developing feelings for him? And if I am, why? He is the enemy, I repeat the words Elena told me over and over in my head, but no amount of time I repeat will make me truly believe in them. I shouldn't be feeling like this because of him. He killed thousand of people, but then so did Rebekah and she has become of my closest friends. Despite everything he did I can't deny that I feel different around him, different than with any boys I dated in my life. He makes me feel different and It's not only because he is showing me this different side of him that not a lot of people have seen, except his family of course.

I decide to stop thinking about my feelings and instead I focus on what am I going to wear for the decade dance considering it's the 20s theme now instead of the 70s.