Advanced Nurturing High School; Keyaki Mall

Wearing my casual clothes, I arrived at the area in the mall where Kurino and I were supposed to meet. It was noon, yet it seems like I was the only one here. I looked around, searching for her, but found no trace of her. Just as I was about to step to the side and wait, someone gently pushed me from behind.

"Good afternoon, Furukawa!"

I turned to look behind me. "Kurino-san."

"Hehe. Sorry~, did you have to wait long?"

I shook my head. "No. I only just arrived."

"Oh, is that so? I see..." Kurino looks at me up and down, staring at my clothes. "Hey Furukawa, why are you wearing long clothes? It's not that cold for you, is it?"

"I usually wear long clothes," I answered.

"I see..." Kurino smiled, then clapped her hands together. "Alright then! You ready to go?"

I nodded, then she walked and led the way as I followed closely behind her. As I continued following her, I began to notice something strange about the way she walked. Her pace was a little slower, and her steps seemed out of place. Her posture was different and the way she was acting was a little off from her usual self. Deciding to ignore these thoughts for now, I caught up with her and we headed towards the cafe.

Advanced Nurturing High School; Palate

Kurino and I entered, looking around to find so many students already sitting down in their seats, talking and eating together. Kurino went to one of the staff members and showed them her phone, then Kurino gestured to me to follow her. We walked around in the cafe and found ourselves a table for two, then Kurino and I sat down.

"Palate is usually packed, so I made some reservations beforehand." That was the reason why she talked to that staff member. It was smart, reserving seats before you arrived. "While we're here, please order anything you like, Furukawa. I'll be paying of course."

"...Are you sure?" Kurino nodded and I stared at her for a moment, then nodded at her. "Alright then." I decided to order some black coffee. As for Kurino, she ordered some matcha tea and some unagi nigiri sushi.

A little while later, we were given our orders by one of the staff members. The black coffee I had was warm and served in a white ceramic mug. Kurino's matcha tea was served in a tall white tea cup, and to the side, there was a small plate of two pieces of the unagi sushi.

Kurino takes a sip of her tea, then sighs. "Thank you, Furukawa. For coming here with me," she said with a smile on her face. "I'm glad you remembered your promise."

I stayed silent, staring at her and nodded. I took the mug of black coffee and sipped it. "Didn't know you liked sushi. I thought you would order some sweets."

"Hm...no. I don't really do sweets."

With the mug held in my hand, I went quiet again and stared at her. "...Is that so...?"

"Is something wrong?" she asked, tilting her head.

"...No, it's nothing." I placed down my mug on the table and regained my composure.

"Alright then..." Kurino took another sip of her tea. "You know, I'm still a little sad that Horikita left that day. You know, during our karaoke party?" Kurino gently reached for the sushi, picking a piece up with her hand. "She didn't seem like she was doing too well. Is she alright?"