38

Sofia.

After the trio left. I just stayed in bed playing Episode, a knock came on the door as one of the older maids from before took the empty tray and brought me another mug of tea.

And that got a smile on my face at the thoughtful gesture that was probably Nial's doing. I explained to the Mara --the maid that I wanted another heating pad as well.

I smiled gratefully thanking the kind older woman as she fetched me what I had requested and my lunch too then I realized how long I'd been on my phone.

I had my lunch in peace listening to some music and setting the empty tray and plate aside. The same woman took the empty dishes and I thanked her for the billionth time.

Then, I continued playing Epi while sipping my tea letting out contented sighs till I received a notification.

A huge grin got plastered itself on my face at the text.

Carter: Can we FaceTime ? missed ur pretty face and m bored rn.

I laughed typing back.

Me: couldn't bare to not be in my amazing presence huh?

Carter: meh, more or less, I just wanted to check up on u since it's my day off.
Carter:And u get to show me the hotel ur staying at and the pics u took.

I panicked at the last text, all signs of playfulness erased from my face and I thought carefully before I started typing back.

Me: ngl haven't gone out much.

Carter: what?! That's soo boriiiiing even 4 u.

I snorted humorously not bothering to correct him, because it is true.

Me: ah well I'm not as much of a social butterfly as u are and I like staying home even if I'm on vacation.

Carter: anyway, send me some pics.

I took a few quick pictures of the extravagant room thanking the gods above that it did look like a fancy hotel but then again I remembered that Carter knew that I wasn't exactly financially capable to reside in such a place.

Shit, shit, shit, I hoped that he wouldn't ask.

The universe hated me I thought as I read the next message.

Carter: Damn, that's really nice but how did u afford it? Did little Sofia get a sugar daddy, huh?

I laughed at the semi-accurate statement.

If he only knew.

Me: LMAO no dumbass. I sorta had some money stashed b4 and wanted to use it as an emergency getaway but whatever.

I indexed hoping that he wouldn't press too much on it, my thoughts going haywire with the lies I was spewing to hold him off.

He takes his time answering this time and I smiled gratefully reading through the texts.

Carter: promise that you'll call if you need anything.
Carter: even if it's for some unexplainable or random reason, I'll always be here for you.
Carter: remember that.

Me: Lol I promise. thank u tho.

A call comes through and I smiled picking up.

"I wanted to hear your whiney cute voice, piccolo," he laughed and I made a sound of disagreement in the back of my throat making him laugh harder and switch to a video call.

"Dipshit, I don't have a whiney voice," I grumbled giving him the finger and he smirked.

"Sure, keep telling yourself that," he said and I pouted slightly, his chuckle resonating on the other line giving rise to making me feel at peace.

This man was my soul brother- if that was a thing.

His happiness was my happiness but right now I felt horrible lying to him. I didn't realize that I was getting lost in my thoughts until he waved his hand in front of the camera.

"Zoning off again, met any hot Slavic men there?" he smirked wiggling his eyebrows as I blushed a deep red, embarrassed.

"No, not really, the only time I got out was when I needed to get some clothes and buy a phone," I lied through my teeth trying not to get him suspicious of anything.

He hummed, "Bella, you need to start socializing, maybe get yourself a man-" he sighed pausing dramatically, "Or men" he smiled at the blushing mess I became.

I almost choked on air at the last word and the man was howling with laughter at the look on my face and I strived to get myself out of the weird conversation.

And thankfully a knock came on the door, Cami's deeply accented voice reached my ears and Carter looked at me pointedly.

"Who is that?" He muttered and I gave him a sheepish smile, "Just this really cool girl I met here," I mumbled opening the door for Cami that gave me a side hug and glanced at the phone I'm holding.

"Who are you talking to, chérie?" She said giving me a peck on the cheek and I smiled at her friendliness.

But something seemed a bit off about her.

Something I couldn't exactly put point as she avoided meeting my eyes and fidgeted with her hands. I was always good at reading people and it worked to my advantage most of the time.

But seeing the beautiful kind woman looking troubled and a bit nervous didn't sit well with me. Was she okay?

"This is Carter, he's my outdated best friend," I teased not wanting to make her feel weirded out or anything and she laughed heartily.

"Sofia Luna you better not be replacing me-" he whined like a kid pausing as Cami shoved her face near mine popping on the screen.

"Non monsieur, Sofia, here has already got a new bestie," she giggled and Carter pouted making me laugh as Cami and I sat down getting comfortable.

"I'm Camille DaVoureux, nice to meet you Carter," she introduced smoothly and I thought Carter had melted at the way his name was pronounced in her French accent.

"Goddamn, Camille, I'm willing to change my sexuality for you if you kept saying my name like that," he fawned pretending to faint, Camille and I busted out laughing holding our stomachs.

"Hey! Take it easy, I don't think her giant Russian fiance would like that," I snorted as Cami giggled at the faux hurt face Carter has on.

"Aw, why are all the hot girls in relationships?" He asked rhetorically pouting and I choked on a laugh as Cami pulled the phone from my grasp.

"You got your bonding time with Sofia and now it's my turn, okay. Byeeeeee. it was nice meeting you," she hurried out hanging up on Carter taking us both by surprise.

I laughed at the action.

"He's so going to be mad," I giggled wiping a tear from my eye as Cami threw my phone in my hand getting up abruptly and her uneasiness overflowing the atmosphere.

Slight sadness laced in.

But she smiled pulling me up with her, "Nikolai told me that you're on your period and I decided that we'll have a movie marathon, your pick of course-" pausing with a smile, "I'll take you to the indoor theater and go get us some snacks, okay?" She got the confirmation she needs from my nod and lead me out of the room leaving my phone to get charged.

I lost count of how many doors and turns we took as she opened the French doors leading to an amazing home theater and I gasp at the luxurious interior.

"I guess they didn't give you a tour after all-" she rubbed her temples sighing, "Anyway, don't worry, I'll show you around later," she smiled and I reciprocated the action.