Chapter- Eight

MACKENZIE

I woke up feeling my legs numb with cold and soon realized my face was frozen. Even though I was covered in blankets t but the weather was too harsh for a mere blanket to keep me warm. I sat with support from my arms and for a few minutes, I just sat there with my head inside the blanket covering me whole.

"Mack?" I heard Quinn’s voice ring against the cold bloodied walls and shuffling of feet.

I moved the blanket from my head and found her coming towards me with a worried expression. I warmed internally and put my arm forward for her to hold it. She quickly held my hand and sat beside me and rubbed my hands with hers.

"Today is cold as ice, isn't it? Winter has come earlier than suspected." She said, puffing air out of her mouth which became a mist in the air.

"It sure is," I murmured and massaged my legs to let a little bit of heat reach them. I felt a sneeze coming and quickly covered my nose.
Quinn seemed to find it funny as she chuckled at me. I smiled along and bumped my shoulder with hers.

Our moment was destroyed by the sound of several footsteps coming outside the cell. Quinn and I sat there silently and looked at whatever was happening. The prisoners all started rattling the metallic rods and screaming, thrashing in their cells to let them go or promising to kill them once they got free. The shadows neared our cell, and Quinn and I shared a look.

They were here for us.

Three men came into our sight, they were the same men who we met at the doctor's. Only Cylon was missing. One of them opened the door and came inside. Quinn slightly moved towards me and she was completely flushed with me. While I remained still and kept looking at them.

"Stand up and come with us," The man said, it sounded more like an order.

"Not before you tell me where are you taking us," I questioned him and held the blanket tighter.

"Alp- uh- The head of the city wants to see you both and decide what happens with you," He said sounding bored except for the stuttering he did at the start.

I didn't think much of his slip of the tongue and looked at Quinn and nodded my head. Letting her know, we have to do this and better find a way to get out of here. We stood with blankets still wrapped around us and as we were about to walk forward, the blankets were snatched away from us leaving us bare in the coldness.

"What are you-"

"Don't you have any humanity? Let us keep the blanket," I demanded but it was all in vain.

They ignored us and kept watching us without any expressions on their faces. It was of no use fighting them they wouldn't budge.

"Let's get it over with. Just try to hug yourself," I hissed at them and rubbed my arms to keep the little warmth that was left behind.

I was a bit grateful that they didn't handcuff us like before, only surrounded us as we walked to an unknown place. The sun was up but the rays weren't heating us as it does in summer. But it was good to be out of the cell the least. Quinn shivered behind me, rubbing her hands together and then placing them on her face.

We must be looking pathetic.

Dirty, wounded and cold.

We passed a few buildings and reached a large building in front of us. Opening the door, the frontman walked inside and gestured for us to come inside. We did as we were told. Inside the building, it was like I had entered heaven. A warm and cosy-looking home was in front of my eyes.

"Move," the man beside me growled and slightly pushed me forward. I showed him an irritated look and walked forward unsure of what I was about to face.