Chapter 7- This Is Kim

Edward lies down in Kim's room, exhausted by the busy day and the sheets around him have many cuts on them when he gets up and lies down. He looks up at the ceiling and starts remembering past memories.

~~~

"Let us pretend that we are in the drawing room and the hostess is serving tea. Now many, numerous little questions confront us."  In the Inventor's study, there are many books and drawings all around the room. On top of a table is Edward half-built, with only his head and torso. Sitting in front of Edward is the Inventor reading from a book.

"Should the man rise when he accepts his cup of tea? May lump sugar be taken with the figures? Mmm, no. Is it good form to accept a second cup? Now should the napkin be entirely unfolded or should the center crease be allowed to remain?  It is so easy to commit embarrassing blunders, but etiquette tells us just what is expected of us and guards us from all humiliation and discomfort." 

The Inventor chuckles, but then stops after seeing Edward's bored and nonresponsive face. The only thing he sees is Edward's hands twitching making the blades scratch each other. 

"Mmm, yes. Boring. Let us switch to, um...to some poetry, hmm?" The Inventor closed the book he was reading and picked up another book full of different poems. 

"There was an old man from the Cape, who made himself garments of crepe. When asked, 'Will they tear?' he replied, 'Here and there! But they keep such a beautiful shape!'" The Inventor chuckles once again and sees Edward wanted to smile also. 

"That's right. Go ahead. Smile. It's funny. That's right." The Inventor encourages and Edward smiles for the first time.

~~~

Outside the Boggs house, a black van with flames painted on stops. Denny, the driver, gets off and goes to the other side of the van where he opens the door for the others inside. "Okay, you guys, we're home."

Kim's boyfriend, Jim, gets out first to help Kim get out while complaining. "I can't believe everything's still sopping." Kim says. 

"I can hardly wait to take a shower and wash off the mildew." The girl who got out after Kim says.

Kim's best friend, Suzanne, sits in the passenger seat with a sleepy look. "Or to sleep in a bed with pillows." She says.

"If my parents have the alarm set, I'm screwed. I'll have to sleep in the yard again." Jim says.

"I told you to call them and tell them we're coming back early." Kim scolds gathering all of her belongings.

"That's right, but did you?" Denny says.

"Nope. He'd rather complain." Suzanne says while handling Kim's last stuff.

"How else am I supposed to be the center of attention, huh? You didn't call your parents." Jim says pointing at Kim and walking away from the group.

"They don't run their house like a police state. Bye, you guys. Thanks for driving, Denny." Kim says looking back and the others say their goodbyes. Kim and Jim kissed each other goodbye, "Don't forget your arm." She says

"Oh, yeah." Jim says and runs back to the van.

~~~

Kim lets herself in and quietly walks toward her room, hoping to not wake anyone up. She enters her room humming and dumps her stuff on the floor. She turns on the light and closes the door, leaving it slightly ajar, not noticing Edward in her bed.