Chapter 5- The Next Day

In Kim's room, Peg tucks Edward into the water bed. He holds his hands up, not wanting to poke any more holes into the mattress. "You think you can sleep? I know things feel a little strange now, but soon you'll feel right at home. Good night."

 Edward smiles and also says goodnight. When Peg gets off the bed, the mattress moves making Edward look around scared and he looks at the stuffed clown doll next to him.

~~~

In the morning, husbands in the neighborhood leave their houses to go to golf games and tennis matches. Like clockwork, the men get in their cars and leave in sync, having done this routine thousands of times.

~~~

In the Family room, Peg has her sample case open on top of the dryer and grabs different creams mixing them in a bowl. She looks at Edward and removes her glasses to get a closer look. Edward sits on a stool with a red hairclip and looks at Peg with no emotion. She starts applying make-up while explaining how it works.

"The light-concealing cream goes on first. Then you blend and blend and blend. Blending is the secret. Mm-hmm. More concealing cream. Your complexion is so fair. Now, this has a touch of lavender in it. Give it a try here. Close enough. This should do the trick here."

Peg leans back and sees that Edward's face is greyish/purplish color. Edward's smile falls when he sees the face Peg is making. "Hmm, I have another idea. We'll cover up the scars and start with a completely smooth surface." She opens up a jar and mixes it with a small spatula. She applies the paste-like putty, but it doesn't work like it should. "Darn this stuff!"

Y/n walks down wearing a pair of overalls while looking down at her book. She hasn't seen what mess is on Edward's face. "Hey Mom, do you know where you placed some of my old tools? I looked in the garage, but I...didn't...see...them." 

When she finally looks up, she finally sees Edward's face greyish/purplish with some putty in some places. She places her book on top of the dryer and steps closer to Edward trying to get a closer look. "Mom, what did you put on Edward's face?"

Peg puts down the spatula and jar with a 'huff' and examines the mess she made. "Well, I tried adding concealer to help cover the faint scars, but when that didn't work I decided to try and give him a smooth surface, but as you can see it didn't work as well." 

"Don't worry, you'll figure it out soon." Y/n encourages her mom and Peg smiles at her. Y/n sees a piece of putty on Edward's cheek about to fall off, so she peels it off and rolls it into a clump. Peg grabs the clump and sticks it on one of the sharp tips of Edward's hand.

"There! At least you won't be cutting yourself." Peg says, but sighs when she adds a slight amount of pressure and the point pokes through.

~~~

In the Backyard, Bill is still wearing his tennis outfit and weakly trims a hedge with a pair of hedge clippers. Between cuts, he tries to hear the ballgame Kevin and his friend are listening to on the radio in his treehouse.

On the other side of the yard, Edward walks towards a bigger hedge examining it. He looks at Bill to see him slowly snipping at his hedge not paying attention to him. He goes back looking at his hedge and copping Bill's movement. Every time Bill cuts a piece, Edward does the same.

Bill looks up to the treehouse, "Turn it up, Kevin. I can't hear it." Kevin turns up the volume while Bill goes back to snipping the hedge, but stops once again when he can burly hear the game. "Kevin?"

Edward becomes absorbed in his work and forgets about Bill, Kevin, and Kevin's friend. He quickly trims off parts of the hedge, not minding the trimmings flying around.