He thought Guinevere would laugh and mock him if he messed up during their lessons, but as he got to know her, as he saw the composure of her precious heart, he knew she would never make fun of him for being ignorant.

He didn't understand why she was afraid, but he was going to be consistent. He didn't like the idea of Guinevere being afraid.

"She's an excellent woman," He confessed. "I haven't known another woman in this way, but if I had, I would still call her the finest."

The fondness he spoke with almost made Mrs. Delores swoon.

She couldn't believe this was the same man who avoided people and kept his conversations short.

"You admire her."

He nodded. "I do. Everything she does is graceful, Mrs. Hayworth. The way she mothers is beautiful. I've never seen a woman mother, and I'm glad. She does it purely, naturally, and beautifully,"

He had to fight the idea of going back to the schoolhouse and sitting with her.

Reflecting on her character sparked a new desire to be near her.

"I brought lunch for her from the restaurant. It wasn't her cooking, she is wonderful,"

A long sigh left him, but for once it wasn't out of relief or defeat.

It was different.

Something new.

He looked at Mrs. Hayworth and she was beaming.

"Obadiah, have you told her any of this?"

He shook his head. "I think a lot. We only have lessons, no time for just talking."

For some reason, it disappointed him.

He liked sitting with her today as she ate lunch. She didn't say much, but neither did he. Still, he liked it.

"I think it would make her very happy if you told her what you think of her. She would be just tickled pink," She giggled. "And, if you want to talk, simply ask her a question. She enjoys talking, and it would bless her to have you listening,"

A burning feeling struck his heart.

"It would?" He asked in disbelief.

She nodded. "Very much,"

Obadiah stood abruptly. "Thank you, Mrs. Hayworth. I appreciate your wisdom," He nodded at the woman and walked away before she could respond.

"He isn't aware of it yet, but he is surely falling in love with your mother. And it is just the sweetest thing to see,"  Mrs. Delores told the children with glee.

There was no doubt in her mind that Obadiah would heed her advice.

-

Guinevere was walking on a cloud.

Her students noticed once Obadiah left.

They weren't pokey or prying children, but she couldn't blame them for kidding her.

Even now, as the day was over, she still heard giggles and whispers about her.

"Enjoy your day, Miss Klein. Say hello to your beau for us," Ginny, an older girl said with a teasing smile.

Guinevere playfully glared at the girl and shooed her away before locking the doors.

Silly child.

Obadiah was not her beau.

He was her friend.

A friend who constantly made her heart flutter and sing.

He was thoughtful.