Six

"Hello, my honeybees," Obadiah said gently as he placed his crate at the base of the tree.

Today he was a man who knew how to spell his name.

His bees had never known about his illiteracy, they never cared, but he was proud to keep them as a little smarter version of himself.

The soft buzz filled his ears. Their way of saying hello.

Hello was one of the words Miss Klein wanted him to learn.

And he did.

'H, e, l, l, o,'

Once he arrived home, Obadiah sat at the table and wrote each word three times.

Writing and recognizing the words made him think that maybe he wasn't stupid. Maybe he could learn.

He only needed help.

"Such pretty honey," He said as he funneled into the jar.

He had an idea to give Miss Klein a jar to say thank you, but he wasn't sure.

He'd never given anyone a gift. He didn't know anyone to give to.

But she deserved it.

He wasn't so stupid anymore.

It was strange.

He shook his head and placed the jar into the crate, taking another to fill.

He didn't know how to feel about knowing more.

It felt like he was doing something wrong.

But was it wrong to want to move forward and learn?

Was it wrong to give a teacher a gift?

He didn't know.

He'd never done any of this before. He didn't have someone to ask. His bees couldn't speak.

He didn't like this.

Not knowing.

He didn't have this issue when working with the bees and his wood.

If a problem came up, he'd figure it out by rearranging something. If the bees were too rowdy, he would step away and allow them to calm down.

What was he supposed to do with his questions?

The only questions he ever asked were why he had to suffer as a child, and God was always silent.

But maybe God would listen and answer.

Maybe God didn't know why he had to suffer as a child.

However it went, whether God knew or not, Obadiah was desperate to understand if he was wrong for wanting to do better.

Clearing his throat, Obadiah looked up to the sky and spoke. "Hi," His voice sounded like a low rumble. He stepped away from the tree not to startle the bees with his tone. "I know You don't answer my prayers, but I believe You hear,"

Nerves filled him at the thought of another prayer going unanswered, still, he pushed.

"I learned to read some, write too, and I felt good. I didn't feel stupid." He wiped his palms on his pants and swallowed his nerves. "But I feel bad now. I feel wrong for wanting to learn more, a-and to even give Miss Klein honey. I-i don't know what's right and wrong, not everything, but I know I finally felt smart."

Was God even listening?

"I want to go back. I want to learn how to spell my last name. But I don't know if it's right," He closed his eyes and lowered his head. "I-i just want to feel right," He whispered, the sliver of hope in his heart longing for something, anything, an answer.