The Mirror Of Erised

Hermione stood rooted to the spot as Filch and Snape came around the corner ahead. They couldn't see her, of course, but it was a narrow corridor and if they came much nearer they'd knock right into her, the cloak didn't stop her from being solid.

She backed away as quietly as she could. A door stood ajar to her left. It was her only hope. She squeezed through it, holding her breath, trying not to move it, and to her relief he managed to get inside the room without their noticing anything. They walked straight past, and Hermione leaned against the wall, breathing deeply, listening to their footsteps dying away. That had been close, very close. It was a few seconds before she noticed anything about the room she had hidden in.

It looked like an unused classroom. The dark shapes of desks and chairs were piled against the walls, and there was an upturned wastepaper basket but propped against the wall facing him was something that didn't look as if it belonged there, something that looked as if someone had just put it there to keep it out of the way.

It was a magnificent mirror, as high as the ceiling, with an ornate gold frame, standing on two clawed feet. There was an inscription carved around the top: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

Her panic fading now that there was no sound of Filch and Snape, Hermione moved nearer to the mirror, wanting to look at her but see no reflection again. She stepped in front of it.

She had to clap herhands to his mouth to stop herself from screaming. She whirled around. Her heart was pounding far more furiously then when the book had screamed, for she had seen not only himself in the mirror, but a beautiful women.

But the room was empty. Breathing very fast, she turned slowly back to the mirror.

There she was, reflected in it, white and scared-looking, and there, reflected behind him, was the women. Hermione looked over her shoulder. but still, no one was there. Or were they all invisible, too? Was she in fact in a room full of invisible people and this mirror's trick was that it reflected them, invisible or not?

She looked in the mirror again. A woman standing right behind her reflection was smiling at him and waving. She reached out a hand and felt the air behind her. If she was really there, She would touch her, their reflections were so close together, but she felt only air she and the others existed only in the mirror.

She was a very pretty woman. She had dark Black curly hair much like her own hair and her eyes, her eyes are just as large as Mine, Hermione thought, edging a little closer to the glass. But bright blue instead of Brown exactly the same shape, but then she noticed that she was crying smiling, but crying at the same time. The tall, thin.

Hermione was so close to the mirror now that her nose was nearly touching that of his reflection.

"Mom?" She whispered.

She just looked at her, smiling. And slowly, Harry looked into the faces of the other person in the mirror, her noses like Hermione's, Hermione was looking at her mother, for the first time in many months since her vision from the music box.

The women smiled and waved at Hermione and she stared hungrily back at her mother, her hands pressed flat against the glass as though she was hoping to fall right through it and reach them. She had a powerful kind of ache inside her, half joy, half terrible sadness.

How long she stood there, she didn't know. The reflections did not fade and she looked and looked until a distant noise brought her back to her senses. She couldn't stay here, she had to find a way back to bed. She tore her eyes away from her mother's face, whispered.

"I'll come back," and hurried from the room.

She was sure she just looked into the Mirror Of Erised.

"You could have woken me up," said Theodore crossly as she sat in the great hall surrounded by breakfast foods.

"I think I found the mirror,"

The room settled into a silence the group exchanging looks.

"The mirror?" Blaise asked she nodded.