Desire

"What did you see?"

Hermione feel silent unsure what to say, she took a deep breath before deeply exhaling looking down at the eggs on her plate.

"I saw Mother," Hermione replied.

"Can we see her?" Blaise asked a smile formed on her lips looking at the two boys looking at her with larger smiles, she was relieved they believed her.

"Do you remember where it is?" Blaise Zabini Queried.

"What if Snape follows?" She added

Their heads turned seeing the potions master glaring down at them coldly from his seat. They turned back to each other just as quickly as they looked.

"Later," Theodore whispered.

"We need to find out what it does and why is it so important to Snape," Blaise whispered leaning closer into the group.

Hermione couldn't eat. She had seen her mother and would be seeing her again tonight. She had almost forgotten about finding information on the mirror. It didn't seem very important anymore. Who cared? What did it matter if Snape stole it, really?

"Are you all right?" said Theodore. "You look odd."

What Hermione feared most was that she might not be able to find the mirror room again. With Theodore and Blaise covered in the cloak, too, they had to walk much more slowly the next night. They tried retracing Hermione route from the library, wandering around the dark passageways for nearly an hour.

"I'm freezing," said Blaise.

"Let's forget it and go back," Theodore agreed.

"No!" Hermione hissed. "I know it's here somewhere."

They passed a ghost of a tall witch gliding in the opposite direction, but saw no one else. Just as Theodore started moaning that his feet were dead with cold, Hermione spotted the suit of armor.

"It's here - just here - yes!"

They pushed the door open. Hermione dropped the cloak from around her shoulders and ran to the mirror.

There she was. Her mother beaming at the sight of her.

"See?" Hermione whispered.

"I can't see anything," Blaise confessed.

"Look! Look at her...she is right there...."

"I can only see you, Hermione," Theodore said.

"Look in it properly, go on, stand where I am."

Hermione stepped aside and Theodore stepped forward, but with Theodore in front of the mirror, she couldn't see her mother anymore, just Theodore in his paisley pajamas.

Theodore, though, was staring transfixed at his image.

"Look at me!" he said.

"Can you see Mother?"

"No - I'm alone - but I'm different - I look older - and I'm head boy!"

"What?"

"I am - I'm wearing the badge- and I'm holding the house cup and the Quidditch cup - I'm Quidditch captain, too!"

Theodore tore his eyes away from this splendid sight to look excitedly at Hermione and Blaise.

"Do you think this mirror shows the future?"

"How can it?" Hermione asked. "My mother is dead. Remember?"

"Blaise, do you want a go?" Theodore asked anxiously.