𝙙𝙚𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣

"Where'd you disappear to last night?" Rick stepped out to the church stairs with Del. She hadn't slept. She mindlessly cleaned her gun parts.

"I killed three men last night."

She could feel him staring at her, could feel his concern.

"I bit one of their jugulars out, like an animal," she explained more. He crouched down beside her, a hand on her shoulder.

"I have too."

Those words made her look over at him, a confused look etched across her face. Somehow that made her feel better.

"We're they threatening you?" He asked. She nodded.

"They said I had to bring them back here, or they would kill me. They wanted all our stuff."

Rick nodded, sighing.

"And instead of just bringing them here, you killed them. Sounds like you did the only thing you could."

She felt her eyes gloss over, the cloudiness in her brain seemed to fog away for a second.

"Rick... I'm scared to stay here."

"Then we move at sun up tomorrow," he answered plainly.

: ̗̀➛

"Have you thought about names?" Jake sat with Del, watching Daryl skin a squirrel. It wasn't as nasty to her anymore.

Daryl looked up at Del, a look of "have you?".

"Not really." Del shrugged.

"I think if it's a boy you should name him Eddie. And if shes a girl, Beth."

Del smiled sadly looking at Daryl.

"I think those are two pretty good name." He nodded.

"And if it's triplets, i'm out of ideas." Jake smiled. Del playfully pushed him, shaking her head.

"Shut up."

"I'm gonna be a uncle, uncle Jake. I thought it would be Kay or Eddie to make me a uncle."

Del forced a smile, nodding.

"Me too," she mumbled. She never expected to have kids. She thought Kay would be the first, the Eddie, then Jake. Kids were never part of her plan.

"You're gonna be a good mom." Jake smiled at her. She needed to hear it, she looked up at Daryl, who gave her a weak smile.

"She will," he agreed.

"And you're going to be the coolest dad, I mean, you ride a motorcycle." Jake smiled. Del laughed, wrapping her arm around Jakes shoulders, pulling him close.

"You'll be a good uncle."

: ̗̀➛

Del shot up from her sleep, gasping for air. All she could feel was the gun pressed against her jaw.

"Hey, it's okay." She felt Carols hand on her shoulder.

"Sorry." Del was quick to apologize.

"You are fine, woke up just in time. Ricks suddenly ready to pack everything up and move."

Del pretended she didn't know why, but she did, because Rick was a good friend, a good dad, a good leader.

"Mhm." She rubbed her eyes, trying to gather herself.

She felt Carol pushing something into her hands, opening them to see a jar of pickles. She gave Carol a confused look.

"When I was pregnant with Sophia I loved them. I thought you may want them." She gave her a gentle smile.

"At this point, I crave any food." Del joked, stuffing the jar into her backpack.

Carol stared down at her, her eyes wide with a glimmer. Del always thought she was beautiful, she hoped she looked like Carol as she aged.

"You're lucky," Carol mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Del almost laughed. She felt like the most unlucky person alive.

"To have Daryl, have a man who really loves you and his child. I never got that luck."

"All Sophia needed was you, Ed was just background for that girl," Del spoke the truth.

"I should have left him. He treated me and Sophia horrible. I feel terrible for letting her last days be with that man. You never have to worry about that with Daryl, he loves you."

"Sophia knew who the real parent was."

Carol looked down at the floor, a sad smile etched her face as if she was reminiscing.

"You know, I like to think if Ed walked through those doors right now and told me to take him back I would tell him to go to hell... but I don't know."

Del grabbed her hand, smiling up at Carol.

"You would."

: ̗̀➛

Del hoisted the gun bag onto her back. She felt like each day things were getting harder to carry.

"Whatta ya doin'? Give me it." Daryl began taking the bag off of her back as soon as she stepped outside.

"I'm not going to break." She rolled her eyes, watching him toss it into the back of the truck.

"I know." He gave her a kiss on the head before heading back inside.

"I can't believe we're already leaving." Jake stuffed his back pack into the trunk.

"We're gonna find a place bigger, safer."

"What? Like the prison?" He wiped sweat from his head. She pursed her lips.

"Yeah, like the prison."

"I miss the prison."

"I know." She ruffled his hair. She tried to be optimistic but she missed the prison too. She would have done anything to be back there, for it to be safe. It could have held out. It could have grown to be a community.

She glanced behind her as everyone loaded up, seeing Daryl carrying two bags.

"Why do you have my backpack? I could have got it-"

"No." Was all he replied, putting it into the back of the truck.

"Okay, all loaded up, lets head out." Rick called out over the group.

Del looked back at the church one last time, at Beths grave, then climbed onto the back of Daryls bike.