𝙘𝙤𝙤𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙠𝙞𝙙

: ̗̀➛
       "You're cheating! You're a cheater!" I pushed my brother as he set down his uno card a second time. Him and Beth giggled. I
glanced out to the yard to see Carl, just standing at Loris grave. I stood, brushing the dirt off my jeans.
       "You two play without me."
        I walked up behind Carl, staring down at Loris cross with him.
        "You okay?"
        He gave me a fake smile, nodding. I could tell he was fighting back tears. I grabbed him, pulling him into a hug.
        "It's gonna be okay, kid."
         I felt him silently crying.
         I pulled away, grabbing his face so he looked up at me. Tears rolled down his face.
         "You are strong, okay? You are the most badass kid I know, and your mom knew that."
         "My dad is losing his mind... And baby Judith is here without here mom." His voice broke. It hurt to think he only cared about his family, not even one selfish thought in his little head.
       "Carl, you got to give your dad time, okay? You can't force someone to move on. And Judith has you, the coolest big brother ever. I could never be as cool as you."
        He laughed sadly, wiping the tears from his cheeks. I saw Rick out of the corner of my eye, slipping through the opening of the fence.
        "Why don't you go up and play uno with Beth and Jake?"

: ̗̀➛

     I stood behind the fence, watching Rick look around, seeming dazed and confused.
      "Rick?"
       He looked at me, his eyes glazed over.
       "What are you doing out here?" I clung to the fence.
         He looked around, like he was looking for a reason to be out there.
        "Just... stuff... and things."
        "Why don't you come back inside, okay?"
         He glanced around one last time before nodding.

: ̗̀➛

       "Morning." Glenn sat down at the same metal table, pulling a map out. Everyone began gathering around him.
        Before he could say a word I cut him off.
        "This is a bad idea."
          All eyes landed on me.
          "He killed got Lori and T-dog killed, Del," Maggie defended, "He... What he did to you.. You don't want some kind of revenge?"
          "No. I want to stay here, and have all of us grieve like we should be able to. We don't have the people."
         "But we have the guns. He could be on the way here, right now." Glenn sounded stern.
         "He's right." David folded his arms across his chest, walking in the room with Kay behind him.
        "He wants this place... and he wants her dead." He pointed to Michonne. She seemed so unfazed.
        "You all should have attacked the same night, when he wasn't expecting it." Kay chimed in.
        "He won't be expecting it now. It's been a few days, he probably thinks were going to surrender," Carol added.
        "This is insane." I shook my head.
        "It is, but Glenn is right... if you don't kill him, he will kill you... all of you. He wont care theres women and children."
        I felt a lump in my throat, rubbing my eyes with my palms. Why? Why did all of this have to happen?
       "I can't.. I can't look at him again, I want nothing to do with this."
         "No, Del. We need you. You're the best shot here," Glenn said as if he was trying to negotiate.
        "No. If you all want to go risk your lives, be my guest. I can't stop anybody, you're all adults, but I just got my family back. I need time with them, however long that may be, and i'm not risking it over this." I stood, turning on my heel to leave.
       "Del!" Glenn called out after me, but I ignored it.

: ̗̀➛

       I stared down at Judith, I couldn't help but smile.
      "Does that sun feel good? Huh?" I could see Lori in her.
       "Blessings." David sat down on the bleachers beside me. I nodded, not able to take my eyes off her.
        "You know I always wanted kids." He smiled at her, feeling her thin little hairs on her head.
        Beth walked up, gently grabbing Judith from me.
        "It's time she eats."
         I gave her a smile and nod before they disappeared back inside.
         "You would've been a good mom, you know."
           I looked at him, not able to tell if this was another attempt at getting me back.
          "You would have been a good dad."
          "I know." He smiled cheekily. I playfully nudged him, laughing.
          "Shut up."
           We looked out to the woods. I watched the gravel road, watching Maggie and Glenn make their rounds around the fence.
Vrooom!
       I stood, out of instinct, not able to tell if I was hearing things. David stood too.
       "What the hell?" He muttered. We watched as a motorcycle pulled up to the gate. I froze for a second, my heart stopped beating before my feet carried me, full speed to the gate.
        "Open it!"
        Maggie and Glenn pulled it open. He got his bike just beyond the fences. David followed behind me as they shut it.
        The bike sputtered off. Immediately our eyes met. I didn't care how mad I was at him for leaving. In that moment everything felt like a dream.
       He dropped his bike to the dirt, grabbing me, holding me in a tight hug, his hand on the back of my head and the small of my waist.
       "Oh my god." I cried, not able to hold him tight enough. "You came back."
       "I came back."
       I saw David staring at us, his eyes burning into Daryl. I squeezed my eyes shut, just standing in his arms. It was the best place I could be.