𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩

: ̗̀➛
I blinked my eyes open to the sun peeking out, making everything golden. I would've been a beautiful morning.
I sat up from the RV bench, wiping the sleep from my eyes.
"Morning." Carol smiled at me from the other end, sat playing cards.
"Are they here?"
"She said nothing."
I quickly smoothed down my hair, clipping on my gun holster as I jogged out the door.
Rick, Daryl, Hershel and T-dog were gathered at the front of a car with a map laid out.
"What are you guys doing?"
"Trying to figure out the best route to hit. We need to hit some houses and get supplies." Ricks finger slip across the map.
"What? We can't go, my sister isn't back."
Rick exchanged a look with Hershel. I already knew. They wanted to leave her.
"Del, we can't stay here. Last time we were here-"
"You're just going to leave her?! This isn't right! You waited one night!"
"Del, you just have to understand this is for your safety and-"
"No!" My voice trembled as tears swelled up in my eyes, "I'm... I'm not going. I can't believe you're okay with this." I looked at Hershel. I was distraught. I
couldn't leave my sister out there, she had no clue what she was doing.
"I don't want to leave your sister either, Del. But Rick is right. It isn't safe here and my priority is keeping you girls safe."
I shook my head in disbelief that they expected me to just pick up and leave her.
"You guys think she's dead."
They all looked guilty. I scoffed, feeling a tear land on my shirt.
"I'm not going anywhere. Not without my sister."
"Delilah-" Daryl started.
"No! I thought you of all people would understand! She is all I have left, don't you people get it? I have no one! I lost both my brothers, my dad, my fiancé, hell even my damn dog, I can't just leave her out there, she doesn't know how to work a gun. She hasn't been out here before!"
"She's safe with Andrea. We can leave a map out for her so she can head east after us," Rick tried to calm me. More tears fell. I couldn't believe it. They wanted me to ditch her and hope for the best.
"Oh yeah, the girl that wants me dead, she'll protect my sister real good!" I stomped away, angrily wiping my tears from my cheeks.
"Del, where are you going?" Hershel called after me. I ignored him, making my way toward the woods.

: ̗̀➛

Leaves and branches snapped and crunched under my feet while I worked my way through the trees. It was starting to get cold, winter would hit soon. It made me sick to think about Kay being out there in the cold. She had no clothes, nothing to keep her warm.
Crack, crunch.
    "Kay?" I whispered, looking around frantically, my knife clutched in my hand.
     "Kay?" I whispered again.
BLUGHH!
      Decaying hands reached out for me from behind a tree, making me topple over. A walker stumbled out, dropping down on top of me, snapping its jaws.
       I wrestled, trying to fight its head back enough to get a good stab. I fought back, making my arm shake from trying to push its jaws away from me.
AURGH!
     "Fuck," I exhaled as it pushed closer to my throat.
Ssslh.
     The walker dropped, a knife stuck in the top of its head.
Carl stood at my feet, a look of surprise on his face as if he didn't expect himself to kill the walker.
"What the hell are you doing out here?" I scolded him, jumping up from the ground.
"You shouldn't come out here by yourself. It's not safe."
"Okay, dad. You need to go back to your mom and dad."
"It's boring up there. I want to help you look for your sister."
"Your dad will kill me if I let you out here, kid. Come on." I gently grabbed his arm but he yanked it away.
"No. I need to learn to protect myself, don't I?"
"Carl, I'm not arguing with you-"
"My dad won't care. My parents think you're lonely. They would want me out here with you."
I furrowed my eyebrows, not knowing what to think about that information.
"They think you're lonely and that you're impulsive. They said you're a sad person."
"How do you know?"
"I listen."
"Is that what you think?"
"No. I think you're badass," he smiled. I laughed, ruffling his hat.
"You're right. Come on."

: ̗̀➛

"Carl!" Lori squeezed Carl tightly. Her gaze snapped to me and her look hardened.
"What the hell was he doing out there with you?"
I was shocked for a second that I was being scolded.
"What?" I laughed in confusion.
"He's only a kid-"
"I followed her mom." Carl interrupted. She looked down at him, shaking her head.
"Carl, you go to the RV with Carol, okay?"
He took off skipping. She stepped toward me, lowering her voice.
"I'm sorry-"
"I know what you and Rick said."
Her mouth hung open as she tried to find what to say.
"It's okay," I started, "You guys are right. You know, about me being sad and lonely."
"I'm sorry, Del..."
"It's okay. Just next time, you might want to make sure Carls not around when you talk." I stepped away but she grabbed my arm.
"I.. I am so grateful to you. You saved Rick... and Carl, twice. I hope you don't think thats what I think of you. I think you're strong and kind."
"Lori, it's okay. You don't need to explain yourself."

: ̗̀➛

"Were staying another night." Rick joined my side on the top of the RV.
I looked up at him, hope filling me.
"Really?"
"Yeah, but you have to agree to leave first thing in the morning. If they aren't here we will still leave a map for them."
"Okay."
"Take this as a small thank you."
"I will."
"Lori told me about what Carl said to you." He stared off. "I want to apologize."
"It's okay."
"No, no it's not. You have done more than enough for us."
"I just hope y'all would do the same... Carl saved me today."
"Yeah he told me."
"You got a good kid, Rick. He's got strong morals. Reminds me of my little brother... You keep that kid close."
He stared down at me for a second before nodding.