𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜

: ̗̀➛
       "They're arguin' again." I informed Hershel as he shuffled into the kitchen, watching Shane and Rick from the window.
      "No they're just talking, Del."
     "No. They hate each other. They try to hide it."
     "Del, all you need to worry about is cutting your drinking and smoking. You girls are nosey."
      I smiled, knowing he was right.
      "You need anything?"
      "No, no, just getting some water."
       "Here, i'll get it."
      "I'm capable, girl. You stop stressing yourself over me."
      "I know you are."  I filled up a glass, handing it to him with a smile.
      "Thank you." He gave my hand a squeeze,"Are you okay? I don't see much of you anymore."
      "I'm okay."
      "I hope you're not getting into trouble. I already got to worry about Maggie running around with Glenn and Beth sneaking off with Jimmy."
      "Glenn is a good guy, and Beth and Jimmy are teenagers, you need to stop stressing yourself. You were young once too."
      He let out a short laugh.
      "I'm just hoping I don't have to worry about you and Daryl."
      My heart jumped as if I was caught in something even though I did nothing wrong.
      "Hershel, Me and Daryl are just friends."
     "Not by the way he looks at you. I know a man who likes a girl and he looks at you like he would stop the whole Earths rotation for you."
     I got butterflies in my stomach just thinking it could be true, I didn't know why, and it scared me that it made me excited to think that.
     "No. You're going old and senile," I chuckled, shaking my head.
     "You're my daughter, Del. Just be safe, okay? I know you girls are grown up but I won't ever stop worrying about y'all, even in death."
    "Well you're never gonna die on us so don't even worry." I gave him a reassuring smile. He gave me a soft one back and shuffled back out of the kitchen.
I turned my attention back to the dishes and to looking out the window, staring at Daryls tent. I completely forgot about Shane and Rick arguing, repeating what Hershel said in my mind over and over.

      : ̗̀➛

I watched as Shane and Rick bickered in front of the chicken coop. The sun casted a glow across the farm. It was so quiet out there.
"They don't stop." Kay joined my side.
"They're arguing about that boy still."
"And about Lori." She added. I looked over at her, wondering if she knew what I did about the three of them but I kept my mouth shut about it, deciding it wasn't my business.
Rick marched away from the coop, heading toward us.
"That baby ain't Ricks." She added again.
"Stop it," I mumbled at her as Rick approached us.
"Everything okay?" I asked as he blew past.
"Just fine." He answered shortly, crawling into his and Loris tent.
"Poor man. Poor, poor man." Kay shook her head, making her way back toward the house. I watched Shane for a second, watching him pace. He wasn't okay. He wasn't right in the head and we all knew it but didn't say it.
"You okay?" Daryl called over to me from his tree. I nodded, walking toward him.
"Shane has lost his damn mind." I sat down beside him, watching him sharpen his bows. Our legs touched from how close we were.
"We've known that. Bastard thinks he owns everyone."
"He wants that boy dead."
"He probably wants all of us dead except Lori, Carl and that baby. He especially wants Rick dead," He said so nonchalantly it sent shivers down my arms because I knew he was right, the look in Shanes eyes when he looked at Rick was not okay. They were so dark.
"You don't think he'd kill Rick, do you?"
"Who knows, this world makes everyone lose their minds."
"You haven't. You were built for this."
He let out a chuckle, looking at me. I looked deep into his eyes, trying to see what Hershel could.
"I don't know about that."
"I know i'm not built for this world. It scares the piss outta me everyday to think someone else might die. Death is all I know anymore."
"Well that aint gonna change." He hopped up, offering me a hand. I took it, pulling myself off the ground, brushing the dirt off my pants.
"You uh, got something." He nodded to my hair.
"Well get it." I tilted my head towards him. He slowly brushed his fingers through my hair, tossing a leaf onto the ground. I felt myself tense with his touch. I hated that I felt this way, it made me sick. I didn't even know what it was.
"Thanks," I muttered. He nodded, awkwardly looking down at his feet.
"I'm gonna head inside for dinner, you can join me."
"Nah, I'm gon stay out here and skin those squirrels."
"Then I'll stay with."

...

I leaned against the tree, picking at my nails as I watched Daryl hang up his squirrel. His muscles moved as he grabbed each one.
"That don't gross you out?" I asked.
"Huh?"
"Skinning those things?"
"Been doing it my whole life... surrounded by dead bodies anyway."
"Fair point."
He wiped his hands on his jeans, looking at me with a look of completion.
"Maybe i'll teach you some day."
"No I'm okay, I stick to my home cooked meals, thanks."
"What the hell-" He looked past me with a look of confusion.
"Little bastard got away!" Shanes voice boomed over the fields. Everyone stood, making their way quickly over to him. The porch door swung open as everyone piled out.
I turned to see Shane, determined looking with blood covering his entire face. His nose was clearly broken.
"What the hell happened?" Rick ran up as we surrounded him.
"The damn kid busted my nose, took my gun and took off into the damn woods! I tried to chase him!"
"What? He's got a gun?!" Lori looked terrified.
"What do you mean he took off?" T-dog questioned.
"I mean he took off!"
"Okay, Daryl and Del head to the left of the trees. Shane and I will hit the right. We gotta find him," Rick directed
"What? He's got a gun and you want to go have a scavenger hunt?" Lori scoffed.
"Del is not going out there." Hershel butted in.
"He's not going out there by himself-" I started.
"I'll go with," Glenn stepped up, "You just... Stay here with Maggie and make sure he doesn't try to come back."
I wanted to fight it but I knew Glenn was doing it for Hershels respect.
"Okay, we need to go now before he gets far." Rick and Shane took off toward the trees. Daryl looked over at me. I gave him a look of "please god come back." He gave me a nod as if to say "I will."