79

"Ain't gon make em come back any faster." Daryl stood at the bottom on the stairs. Dels gaze fixed out the window.

"I know." She didn't move her eyes. She felt him behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist as he placed his chin on top of her head.

"She sleepin'?"

"Mhm." He nodded.

She felt it. She didn't know what it was but it was that feeling. The one of impending chaos. It felt closer as the days approached. Something bad was coming. She worried about Jake, about Maggie, about them being out there.

"He ain't a little boy anymore-"

"I know... I... I know. It's not just that." She turned to look at him, shaking her head, "Something bad is coming, Daryl. I can feel it."

"That's just a normal feeling to have when you feel like things have been good for too long, sweetheart."

"No." She shook her head. It wasn't that. She had felt that before. "It's in my gut. I know it's coming... and... I'm scared. I need you. I need you to tell me everything will be okay."

He stared down at her, sighing. She knew he wouldn't, he wouldn't make promises he couldn't keep, but she needed him. She needed him to tell her everything would be alright, but he remained quiet.

"Forget it."

...

"Delilah! Nice to see you!" Gabrielle opened his arms as she stepped into the church. She pursed her lips. A feeling of near guilt washed over her. "Never had you join a sermon."

"Well, not much proof of god these days." She thought about her lost faith. She had been raised to be a god fearing child, but now, god would have to ask her for her forgiveness.. but prayer was her last hope.

"You're alive, aren't you?"

She smiled down at her shoes, "That I am."

"So what did you come for?"

She stared up at the stained glass window of virgin Mary.

"I... I feel like something is coming.. Something bad. I guess prayer is my last resort."

He nodded, "I'll leave you be." He shut the church doors behind him. She knelt, placing her elbows on a pew and putting her palms together, she had almost forgotten how to pray.

I know it's been a long time, I haven't done this in a while. I miss Hershel... I miss Beth and Kay... hell even Annie and Abel. I think something bad is going to happen. It may be to me... if it is and if you're really there... please forgive me... and if it's not me... please don't let anyone die... I can't take anymore death. It's all around me. It's all I know anymore... Give me a sign you hear me... Amen.

...

Del shut the door quietly behind her, making sure to not wake the baby. It had been hours by now, the sun had begun to set. The lower the sun got the more she worried.

"Where'd ya go off to?" Daryl was sat the kitchen table, sharpening his bows with his feet kicked up on the table. For some reason, she was angry. Angry that she didn't get the comfort she needed from him so much that she had turned to god.

"The church." She began up the stairs.

"The church?" She heard his footsteps behind her. She combed her fingers through her hair as she sat on the bed. She wished the rest were back. She wished she knew what was giving her that disgusting terror inside, she wished Daryl knew how to comfort her.

"Why'd ya go to the church?" He leaned in the doorway. She looked up at him, lip trembling.

"I needed to do something... I'm desperate for comfort, Daryl."

His gaze seemed to soften with those words.

"Ya could've came to me-"

"I tried."

He tightened his lips, looking down at his boots. Anger boiled in her.

"Even now you don't know what to say... You can't even tell me everything will be okay." She continued, shaking her head as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"You want me to lie? To say everything will be okay? Cause I don't know, Del. You knew who I was when you met me. Ya knew I couldn't comfort you-"

"I just had a baby, goddamnit! I'm fucking terrified and in pain and worried! I need you here with me!"

"I am!"

"No," she stared down at the bedsheets, "Physically you are but... I am so so alone. I'm so tired of being alone."

"You knew I wasn't that type of person, Del-"

"You're right. I did." She looked at him. Tears clouded her vision. She loved him. She loved him so much and maybe that was what hurt her the most. She needed him to say something to bring her peace, even if it was a lie. This feeling ate away from the inside out. She tried to blame it on her just having a baby, her hormone's being everywhere, but it was more than that. Something was going to happen.

"I think I should stay with Maggie and Glenn for awhile-" she began.

"We don't need to do all that."

"Are you able to tell me everything is okay?"

He pursed his lips, staring at her, but said nothing. The silence from him was what broke her the most. She needed comfort so badly she had turned to god, not him.

"That's what I thought."