Prologue

Everly and Ryot age 18

~~~Everly's pov~~~

I finish filling my cup and hand the nozzle to the next person waiting for a turn at the keg.

I walk over to the fire when my sister is cuddling with her boyfriend.

I take a sip of my drink and grimace.

Why did I even get a drink when I don't like beer?

The music is blasting as more of my classmates get drunk and celebrate our graduation.

We graduated earlier and someone said they were gonna throw a party at their house on the beach so I said fuck it and here I am.

I know my sister was already going to come thanks to Ryot's persuasion and since her boyfriend is his older brother, he tagged along as well.

I sit down in front of the fire, but back up after a few minutes after since it's starting to get too hot for me.

I look around at my former classmates and can't help but think how weird it is that I've been in school with everyone since preschool and I'll be lucky if I see any of them after this.

I mean there's probably some who'll stay here, but I know a lot are going out of state for college, myself included.

Like most people, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my future right away, but that all changed when I took a sports medicine class in highschool and I was hooked.

The goal is to become a physical therapist for a professional sports team, but that very rarely happens so I'll shoot for something more reachable like college sports.

My sister's boyfriend gets up to talk to someone and my sister comes over to sit next to me.

She bumped her shoulder into mine. "Hey" She said.

We're both twins with blonde hair and blue eyes, but my hair is on the longer and she has a mole on the right side of her lip.

"Hey, having fun?"

"Yeah... You?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah I guess, I just wish they had better drink options."

She snorts. "I know. When you leave for college... Do you think you'll wanna come back home when you graduate?" She asked.

After a few acceptance letters, I chose my school and I'm going to Duke in North Carolina.

I'm excited, but also sad that I'll be away from my family.

I play with the sand. "I don't know. I might stay in North Carolina or go to a different state depending on my job, I have no clue. What about you... Are you still sticking with your game plan or did it change?"

She takes a sip of her drink. "Nope still the same goal. Graduate college and eventually open my own practice" She said with a smile.

She's going to college to become a vet and eventually own her own practice.

Anything animal related my sister was into and as soon as she was old enough she volunteered at shelters and one day when we were in highschool she helped one of the staff members help with a medical emergency and that's when she realized she wanted to be a vet.

She got accepted to the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine in Gainesville.

We both don't leave for college until the end of July so we still have time with each other.

For 18 years we've been with each other so it's gonna be weird not seeing each other every day, but it's time for us to grow up and see what opportunities there are out there for us.