Chapter 40 -Everly

Back at my hotel, I do the one thing I know will make me feel better.

I call Julie.

"Hey," I say when she answers.

"Hey, yourself. How's New York and Mr. Stripper?"

I shrug, remembering my conversation with him. It was so hurtful. I had thought everything was all right with Aston. I was living in a dream, but when he told me he couldn't trust me, it destroyed everything, breaking it all into tiny pieces.

"I don't know," I say to her. "Things have been hard. I mean, they've been great. Aston and I have been together."

"Wait a minute," she asks me. "You've been together, like sleeping together?"

"Yes," I say. "We've been sleeping together. It's happened a couple of times. And it's been great. Aston is amazing in bed. Julie, I can't tell you how unbelievable he is. He's everything I've ever wanted in a man."

"So, what's the problem?" she asks.

"The problem is he's had his heart broken by a woman who slept with his best friend," I say.

"Oh, I'd say that's a pretty big problem."

"I know. And today he told me that he can't trust me. He doesn't think he can trust anybody ever again."

She pauses, taking in my words. "You have to understand that he was hurt, Everly. It might take some time for him to come around."

"I know, Julie. But my concern is, what if he doesn't come around? I'll be wasting my time for nothing. Plus, being with a man who can't trust me feels wrong."

"Well, I know what you mean about that. But my advice is that you're patient with him. Aston is obviously crazy about you if he's had amazing sex with you a couple of times, right?"

I think about when I slept with Aston. They've been earth-shattering and heart-pounding experiences. I wouldn't replace them for anything. But Aston might push me away again if he doesn't trust me.

"I don't know, Julie. I don't want to get hurt. I'm scared to put myself out there with a man who isn't in it a hundred percent."

"That makes sense," she says. "But what's the alternative? Are you going to run away from what you have with him? Are you going not to see where it could go?"

I think about how painful it would be to lose Aston. I'm not ready to do that, to cut him out of my life. I'd miss him too much—his pure blue eyes that turn dark when they set on me, how I've come to confide in him, the way my body heats up when he touches me.

"No, I don't want to do that. I care about him."

"Then you just need to give him some time. How long ago did this girlfriend of his break his heart?"

"It's been a few weeks now," I say.

"That hasn't been very long," she points out.

"I guess you're right. I can't put a timeframe on heartache. Maybe he needs some space to get over it. But I can't tell you how scary it is to be in my position."

"I can understand that. But remember, you can always come back to Seattle. The city, me, and your sister are here waiting for you. We miss you."

I think about Julie and how she's always there for me. I always have a home to go back to, even if Aston does end up pushing me away.

But my sister, she's another story. Every time I think of her, I feel a tight knot from inside my stomach. I just know she's going to leave her treatment center.

Where will she go? Will she go back to her life of drugs and addiction?

I can't bear to think of it.

"I'm worried about Kaley. Her 18th birthday is coming up, and I think she might leave Shining Stars Rehabilitation Center."

"It's a genuine possibility. What will you do if she skips out on her treatment?"

I worry, running my hand through my long hair, wondering about Kaley and her safety. Once she turns eighteen, I have no say over her life anymore.

"I have no idea. I can only hope that by now, she knows what's best for her, and that's treatment. But based on my conversations with her, it doesn't sound like she will stay."

"Well, I'm here if you need me for anything," Julie says.

"Thanks. You're such a good friend."

"I miss you," she says.

"Miss you too."

I try to ignore the pain I feel at not having her so close in my life.

Starting over in New York has been challenging, especially since I need to find out where Aston's head is at. But maybe Julie's right, and he needs some time to figure out his life and emotions.

I wish he knew clearly that I'm someone he wants in his life.