Chapter 27 -Everly

The Candid Talk With Jackson Bass is the country's most popular radio show. It's hosted on Chrono, the world's biggest media platform.

To say my nerves are shot at the thought of Aston being on there is an understatement.

Even though it's a radio show, portions of it will be filmed, and the interview will be done over VidiPop, the video calling software. So, we have Morgan here, ensuring Aston looks his best.

"You got this," she says, perfecting his hair and applying the slightest bit of powder to his nose. "They're gonna love you."

"I fucking hope so," Aston says.

He doesn't look nervous. Instead, he seems like his usual relaxed, casual self. I hope he can pull this off for his own sake.

The radio show starts, and Jackson begins to talk to his audience. He does his usual routine, talking about the day's events, and then he introduces Aston.

"We have Aston Thomas here, a name that's been buzzing lately. Aston, welcome to the show."

Aston smiles his mega, million-dollar smile that causes butterflies to surge in my stomach. "Thanks for having me here, Jackson."

"Now, you've been embroiled in some controversy lately. I don't have to remind my audience of the recent photos of you that have scandalized the nation. What's going on with that?"

"Well, to tell you the truth, my life has blown up, and not in a good way. Things have gone from bad to worse."

Jackson peers at Aston through the screen, judging him. "I must tell you, I'm no stranger to the strip club. But hell, man, did you have to let them take your goddamn photo while you were in there?"

I bite my lip, waiting to see what Aston will say. This is the moment where he'll gain the audience or lose them.

"I have to be fucking honest with you, man. It was not a good night for me. It was one of those nights when I just needed an escape. So, I did that. I went to the strip club and thought I was alone. I engaged in some lascivious behavior, which I am very sorry for. And, you know, by the next morning, it was all over the fucking news. That's not something you want to wake up to."

"Fuck no, man, it's not." Jackson seems to be empathizing with him. "Hell, it's because you're a goddamn billionaire. I want to say I'd hate to be in your shoes, but I bet it's pretty fucking nice." He laughs, and so does Aston.

"But it makes me a target," Aston says. "I should've known people were there to take my picture, to capitalize on what they saw."

"Yeah, that part of being famous does suck. I'm pretty famous, and I've experienced it too. You have to be careful with this level of recognition."

"You do," Aston agrees. "And that night, I was just so focused on escaping that I didn't give a fuck who was taking my picture or what the hell was going on around me. I needed to be normal for a minute. But I didn't get that."

"Yeah," Jackson says. "You got a whole heap of trouble and a #cancelaston movement. What do you think of that?"

Aston runs a hand through his thick hair. "I don't know what to think of it, frankly. I don't want to lose my fucking business and everything I've built. I clawed and scraped and scratched my way to the top. I fought to get to where I am. To have it all disappear because of one bad night seems like a tragedy."

Jackson nods. "I agree, man. I agree. This canceling bullshit needs to end. It's cruel. And I believe people deserve second chances. It's not like you raped anyone."

"Definitely fucking not. Everything that happened that night was consensual," Aston says, putting his hands up. "You can ask Cristal, Chardonnay, and Lexus."

"Whoa, Cristal, Chardonnay, and Lexus? Is that their names?" Jackson laughs.

Astons nods. "They're all beautiful strippers."

"Where the hell is this strip club? I think I might need to go visit it." Jackson laughs some more.

And I realize that this interview is going great. Left to his own devices, Aston can handle anything. That's what I've come to understand. I need to trust him, and he needs to trust me.

I let them finish the interview. Then, I approach Aston and whisper, "Good job."

He surprises me by grabbing me by the waist. It causes tingles to race up and down my spine. "Have dinner with me," he says.

"But Aston, we're supposed to keep things professional."

"Fuck that," he growls. "I can't stop thinking about you, about what we experienced on the plane. Come out with me. Please."

I deliberate my options. I could refuse him, but then I'd eat alone in the hotel, wishing I had said yes. So, against my better judgment, I decide to go for it.

Aston proved me wrong today with this interview. He showed me there's more to him than the controlling jerk I knew before. We worked well together this morning leading up to the interview and can work well together in the future.

"Fine," I say. "But only to discuss strategy."

"Of course." He smiles, but there's a darkness that passes over his eyes. It's desire that I recognize there. I see it. I understand it, and I feel the same way.

I know I'm playing with fire by going to dinner with Aston Thomas, the infamous control freak who always gets what he wants, but I can't help but crave him.

So, I smooth my skirt down and pretend my panties aren't wet for him