Finding My Way Home'

Imagine a situation where a child runs away from home but later returns. Why did he or she run away? What made him/her come back? Write an original short story entitled: 'Finding My Way Home' (ICSE Board paper question)

There I stood in front of the colossal state of the art enclosure , wondering whether to enter that unforgiving gate or to set myself free into the groggy world that I just returned from. Last one week had been tumultuous away from home! I wish that day is on rewind and I could change the way it took shape.

I agree it was a blunder, but I didn't do it on purpose. Nobody believed me. Not even Mom would have. I just can not stand when I am persistently reminded that I am a girl and have to behave in a certain manner. I dread to be a replica of mom. Patronizing this so called patriarchal malevolence spread like an epidemic in the generations till date.

Watching my brothers live unobtrusively raged me every time. For me there were only boundaries. I loved playing sports, hiking mountains ,walk in the forest trails ,swim in the flowing river and especially outdoing  those boys who mock at girls for losing against their physiological  strength. Obviously ,they knew I would wreck them so they kept me in chains.

This infuriated a sense of fire in me which transformed into getting into physical fights at any given opportunity with boys younger-older-known-unknown.

All my anguish was let out as if I battled in a boxing ring thrashing my opponent hard enough only to spare his life. I always won! Those boneless lads must have refrained from challenging me that day. Even my older brother joined them just to take revenge from the last humiliation of being dumped into a dust bin by me. They tried mansplaining me -' girls are wimpy weaklings' and next thing they knew was to be uprooted from their cozy couch and shoved into the attic, locked up in the dark for hours. I simply loved every bit of it. But, dad wouldn't have.

I knew what would happen next. Me being grounded for days and forcefully take the music dance and cooking lessons which were ghastly torturous to my soul.

I ran .As fast as I could before dad returned home ,nowhere to go but somewhere to hide.My feet took me straight to the fight club in the town. I have been eyeing on it since the last time , I sneaked into it disguised as a boy.

That was the place to be. That was my calling. That is what I loved to do. Fight !

But I knew mom would be alone among them and shall worry about me. She needed me to fight with the oppression so I returned home...

My Guru said" Fight that only happens in the ring makes you victorious' .So ,there I was home again about to enter my ring !