31| My mom's gonna kill me

I smile as Allison runs towards us. Lainey is the first to her. Lydia and I wait until they're done hugging to do the same.

"Oh God, I missed you."

"I missed you guys so much."

We let her go. The time difference between here and France proved to be difficult when we tried planning video chat dates. I'm so glad she's back though.

We all get in my car to go to get snacks for tonight. It's already late but we've decided to have one big sleepover before the first day of junior year tomorrow.

We only managed to get Allison on video chat once and we never got to tell her everything that has happened.

Lydia recaps exactly what being the Aries Twins means while Allison listens so intently in the passenger seat.

"You're both Banshees and witches?"

"Yes." I say. "It's really confusing. She's more Banshee while I'm more witch."

"And you haven't been able to use magic?"

Lydia shakes her head. We've tried over the summer. I can literally feel the magic inside her but we don't know how much she has or what she's even able to do. It's also hard when she doesn't take it seriously.

"Alone we're powerful but together we're essentially unstoppable."

"So.. there's magic inside you that you didn't even know was there?"

"Yup."

I turn down the road.

"The night I killed Arcanna I think I tapped into it because I've never felt so powerful in my life."

"How are you supposed to unlock it?"

"Traumatic event." Lydia says. "The same way I got my powers. She won't be able to unlock it until she experiences something truly traumatic."

"But also your harbinger of death and you of life.. does that mean.."

"Bringing back a life means consequences. I have the means and the power to do it but then I'll feel the wrath of the witches from the other side. There has to be balance in life. A life cannot be restored without one taken."

I look in my rear view mirror at Lainey. We sit in silence for maybe a minute before Lydia starts talking about a double date that she's claiming isn't a double date with Allison and two guys. It's definitely a double date and Allison isn't buying it.

"If it's not a double date then why isn't Lainey or Rory going?"

"Because Rory is dating Stiles and Lainey is dating Isaac." I look at Allison with a smile. "It's a double date."

I look back at the road stopping at the red light.

"So, how is everything with Stiles?"

I bite down my smile.

"Great.."

"Just great?" Lydia says. "I don't think I've ever seen her so happy in my life. And I've known her for the entirety of it."

"Okay, it's going really good." I smile. "I'm just glad his hair has finally grown out. I was tired of the buzz."

"That was literally your fault."

Lainey is right, it was one hundred percent my fault.

"Oh my God.."

I turn to Allison who's looking past me.

"What?"

I turn to my left and see Stiles and Scott. Stiles smiles and gives me a thumbs up as I shake my head. I look back at Allison who is trying to hide.

"Rory, just go. Go!"

"The light is red."

"Go!"

I hit the gas and go through the red light.

"Well, that was fun."

"Thanks, Lain." I look at Allison. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah.."

"Rory, stop. We gotta go back and talk to them."

I stop and we all turn around. They've stopped too.

"Rory!"

Lainey is pointing to the front of my car. I turn back and a deer runs into my windshield. We all scream, getting out of my car. I pluck a piece of glass out of my cheek. Stiles runs towards me, grabbing my face.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"It came out of nowhere.." I say. "Check Lydia and Lainey."

I walk towards the deer.

"I am not okay!" Lydia yells. "How the hell does that just run into us!"

I gently put my hand on its head. I close my eyes and feel.

"It was scared.." I whisper. "But of what?"

I open my eyes and look at Scott.

"Terrified.. actually."

We both look at the empty road ahead of us. I don't think I've ever felt such fear in a person or animal.

Scott leaves in the Jeep to bring Lydia, Lainey and Allison home. I sit on the side of the road staring at my car. Stiles sits beside me, grabbing my hand.

"My mom's gonna kill me."

"I think she'll feel better knowing you and Lydia are both safe."

I look over at him. I lean closer to give him a quick kiss. I feel so safe with him in a metaphorical way. He's my safe space.

"I love you, Stiles."

"I know."

I roll my eyes.

"I love you too, Rory."

He kisses my cheek repeatedly when the tow truck finally pulls up.