25| Happy birthday!

I stare at the bags Lydia left on my bed. This girl seriously has a shopping problem. I didn't even ask her to buy me anything when her and Allison went shopping earlier for a new dress for our party. 

I told her just to get me a new necklace that will go with my red dress but she took that as buying me five new dresses. 

I turn around to my vanity and see the dozens of wrapped presents from Reed and Sue, and then  another dozen from the Avengers. I grab the small box sitting in the middle of my vanity. It's from Noah. 

I realize none of the gifts are from my dad. Again, another year of him forgetting our birthday. It's not a big shocker. I'm kinda used to it at this point. 

I take a shower, doing my normal routine. I walk out of my bathroom in my robe to look at the dresses Lydia got me. I pull them out one by one, trying to decide which one to wear. 

I decide on the burgundy one. It's got off the shoulder sleeves that are ruffled. Right up my alley. I put it on before starting my make up. 

I look at my door, hoping to see Lainey but it's Lydia instead. Lainey is at the subway station with Derek and the other beta's. It'll be my first birthday without her in ten years. 

"I knew you'd like that one best."

"You do know my taste."

"You ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

"You used to love our birthday bash."

"Things change, Lyd."

"And I guess so do people."

She walks away. Was she talking about me? I put my lipgloss on before grabbing my heels. I walk down the stairs as she opens the door. Alls I see is a huge box wrapped in paper. Stiles head appears. 

"Happy birthday!" 

Lydia walks away from the door as I walk towards him. 

"Stiles, please tell me that is not for me."

He smiles. He tries to push it in. I help him bring it in. He sets it down by the stairs. 

"Happy birthday, Ror."

He kisses my cheek. 

"Thank you, Stiles."

I give him a quick peck on the lips before walking away. 

"Where you going?"

"I gotta entertain!"

I walk around Lydia who's holding a tray of pink punch I had no idea we had. I realize there's absolutely nobody here. Normally our parties are packed.

I walk to the backyard. Stiles, Scott, Lainey and Allison are the only people here. I walk towards them.

"Is there seriously no one here?"

"We have to do something. We've all been completely ignoring her for the past two weeks."

Very true. I live with her and I've been ignoring my own sister. 

"She's completely ignored us for the past ten years."

I roll my eyes.

"Get over it."

"We don't owe her a party."

"She's still my best friend."

"It's also Aurora's party so.." I smile. "Let's not think of it as just Lyda's party. It's still my birthday. Now, you use your co-captain status to get lacrosse players here and you.. umm..."

I point to Stiles.

"Hey, I know people."

"Of course you do, babe, then get people here."

Allison, Lainey and I go to grab drinks. People start to show up, making it actually seem like a party. I catch Allison glancing at Scott every few minutes.

"Has he apologized?"

"Nope."

"Things with you and Stiles seem to be going well."

I smile into my drink as Lainey fake gags. 

"Maybe."

"At least one of us is having no boy troubles."

I look at Lainey. 

"What did he do?"

"Nothing." Lainey says. "Isaac's done nothing.. I'm just confused about my feelings."

"Meaning?"

"I think I might love him."

"Oh shit.."

"Lainey, that's deep."

I don't care for Isaac but if he makes Lainey happy then I can tolerate him. I haven't seen her eyes light up the way she's talking about him right now in a long time, or really ever. 

I excuse myself to go to the bathroom. On my way I stop to look at the punch in the fountain. I grab a cup to put some in it but Lydia stops me. 

"Don't drink it."

"Why?"

"Just don't, Rory."

I put the cup down, watching her walk away. I ignore the weird feeling in my stomach, going up to my room. I look at the huge present Stiles got me but notice a smaller one on top of it in the same wrapping paper. 

I grab it before sitting on the edge of my bed. I tear off the wrapping paper and stare at the velvet box in my hands. I slowly open it and my jaw drops. I take it out of the box to get a better look at it. 

It's got a single pendant on it. The letter 'S' is a blue topaz. I smile, putting it on. I totally forget about the bathroom, leaving my room to find Stiles. 

He and Lainey run towards me. I throw my arms around him. 

"I could get used to this."

"I opened the necklace.." I whisper. "I love it."

I let go of him.

"Rory, I'm glad you love it but everyone is freaking out."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, I think I know why."

Lainey holds up a cup of the pink punch. Someone gets thrown in the pool. We rush to the backyard. 

"Help! I can't swim! I can't swim!"

Jackson helps Matt out of the pool. Everyone just stares at him. He starts walking, stopping in front of us before going around.